Why become a member? ×

Slapping, popping and percussive bass

Burns-bass

• 1 month later...

I guess I could be labelled as a slapper, certainly in my rockabilly past. There was some definite rat-a-tat going on then.

I use it very sparingly now, because in anything other than trad rockabilly it can sound pretty unpleasant, I agree.

But I use the same playing technique to keep up that percussive, bouncing energy throughout all my pizz playing. It completely changes the energy and definition of the bass line when I switch from classic finger pizz to whole-arm pizz. Its a much more physical, defined sound that punches through the mix like a bass guitar ... yet is so far removed from bass guitar.

As for the clicks and slaps, they become like ghost notes. I agree with Jack and co, you don't want to be clacking away constantly like a pile-driver when you've got a drummer, unless you're playing psychobilly.

The EQ is crucial too, you want to tame the harsh clack (or plastic boing depending on your strings) so that you get a lovely organic woody/gut-like clunk that just gives the note presence and rhythmic attack, rather than sounding like metal plates banging together.

Then those ghost notes and the percussion blend in with the bass tone, and supplement the drums rather than clashing.

None of this helps the OP much ... to develop the style I'd encourage you to get your thumb off the finger board. Its not the only technique, as the more restrained video above illustrates ... but its worth cracking it. Free up your arm, think of your whole forearm producing each note, with the return of your hand landing back on the strings giving your line that fluid, swinging, bouncing percussion, avoiding robotic mechanical clatter. 

Done right its tasteful, appropriate, driving, percussive, but not metallic.   

I've recently realised that when recorded, just tapping my fingertip onto the fingerboard between strings sounds much better than whacking the whole string. Pluck, usually with two fingers for me, with an action a bit like squashing the string down, pulling it aside and releasing it; then at the half-beat my fingers come back for the next note and land with a little tap on the fingerboard, just with the fingertips. It gets a lovely woody pop instead of a great big clack.

I realised the sound required was (as is suggested above) a percussive style of pizz. I must admit, I struggled a lot at the start, but setting the bass up properly helped.

It’s a useful tool to have (although I prefer playing jazz). 

Gigs done, money in the bank, booked for more. Can’t ask for more then that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 14/01/2023 at 08:38, Burns-bass said:

Yeah, that would be amazing! 

I’ve seen Keith play. Be great to see you when you’re down here gigging, so please share details.

Hi again, it's taken a while, but finally we're coming to Bristol!

Bristol Folk House on Saturday 9th December

If anyone's free it'll be great to meet up albeit briefly.

https://www.stevetilston.com/upcoming-shows/

• Like 1