Why become a member? ×

Elixir strings.. dodgy?

Marky L

Went over to see these strings. Couldn’t make out the coating anywhere. No hologram sticker and the ball ends were a different profile to the Elixirs I have. Also the silk end was cut after the string starts to taper but didn’t have an exposed core like my other Elixirs. In fact looking into the cut end it was hard to see any core.
 The seller wasn’t upset by it but more surprised as they’d purchased the strings from the same shop in Cardiff they’d bought their Elixirs from for years. 
I decided it wasn’t  worth the risk. 

There’s someone currently selling fake Elixir guitar strings marked as such on eBay. Only a couple of quid

a set with proceeds to charity. The adverts says it’s to warn people off fake stuff.

Edited by casapete
Of
  • Like 1

With Elixirs you're best buying from established music shops or dedicated string sites, not worth the faff trying to distinguish genuine from fakes on eBay/FB/Amazon etc as usually they aren't legit.

I recently went back to them after a long time away, had a set on almost a year now and they still sound fresh.

I can’t knock Elixirs for doing what they say. Their tone is consistent for donkeys years, but for me

that’s a long time of being a bit ‘meh’. Also not a fan of how they feel either, but all this is purely

subjective of course. As a happy D’Addario EXL user of 40+ years, I guess I won’t be changing

anytime soon. 😆

• Like 1