Why become a member? ×

Strap button thread repair

andyonbass

Its a common problem, you screw the strap button in and the thread has stripped. There have been a few threads on here about it. Happened to me yesterday on an old P bass beater I picked up recently, so I thought I'd show y'all how I deal with it.

[attachment=24268:DSCF0001.JPG]

First of all I blow all the remaining sawdust ot of the hole, then take a hardwood dowel and fix it into the chuck of my drill, and with the drill clamped in my workmate, switch it on a fast speed and file it down to size. (You can use match sticks, but I find them to be made from very soft wood)

[attachment=24261:DSCF0003.JPG] [attachment=24262:DSCF0005.JPG]

Here's a before and after

[attachment=24263:DSCF0007.JPG]

Then I add some wood glue to the dowel, tap it into the hole

[attachment=24264:DSCF0008.JPG] [attachment=24265:DSCF0009.JPG]

When the glue has dried, cut it off flush (note masking tape to protect finish) and re drill

[attachment=24266:DSCF0011.JPG]

Job done! [attachment=24267:DSCF0013.JPG]

If I bother fitting straplocks, I sometimes find that the supplied screws are smaller than the original screws, but the head on the originals is too large to fit into the button, so I use the same method with the drill to file the head of the screw down to fit

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers

Andy

Edited by andyonbass

[quote name='andyonbass' post='470414' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:38 AM'](You can use match sticks, but I find them to be made from very soft wood)[/quote]

Good work there, but I'd just like to point out that cocktail sticks are made of sterner stuff than matches and are more suitable for this kind of repair if you have no access to hardwood dowel.