Why become a member? ×

New Glarry Bass?

stewblack

27 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

The skills and experience would be beyond most raw beginners, and the tools and parts would probably equal if not exceed the purchase price of the instrument.

Thomann would suggest 'return for refund or replacement. They actually prefer buyers follow that course of action, it allows them to identify dodgy batches/ pull them from the shelves and hold a very large stick over the factory at fault. 

Just now, kodiakblair said:

Thomann would suggest 'return for refund or replacement. They actually prefer buyers follow that course of action, it allows them to identify dodgy batches/ pull them from the shelves and hold a very large stick over the factory at fault. 

Oh I don’t doubt that at all and I’m sure they’d be very nice about it as well, but other threads suggest that the actual logistics of returning big boxes to them is a massive pain at present, and I was happy to accept what turned up since I knew I could sort it out.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining - I’m happy with my purchase - I’m just agreeing that some of these instruments built to tight price points arrive less than perfect and could prove problematic for a less experienced owner.

I must say the budget basses I've tried have been substantially better made than the ones I started out on back in the day. 

I was spoiled by going straight to an Aria from my Kay but the memory of that early 'instrument' lives with me still.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Oh I don’t doubt that at all and I’m sure they’d be very nice about it as well,

I don't remember them being nice about anything, not that I expected or wanted them. All I wanted was the faulty item replaced with little fuss.

Thomann may not be "3 bags full sir" but their CS was a damn sight better than a certain London shop who lied about replacing a bass then lied about doing a repair on it.

Give me cold formal yet efficient over smiles every time 👍 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

I don't remember them being nice about anything, not that I expected or wanted them. All I wanted was the faulty item replaced with little fuss.

Thomann may not be "3 bags full sir" but their CS was a damn sight better than a certain London shop who lied about replacing a bass then lied about doing a repair on it.

Give me cold formal yet efficient over smiles every time 👍 

Ah, sorry, wasn’t referring to anything in particular that anyone else had said there - I had a SansAmp RBI from them go faulty on me and literally burn its PSU out after about 2 mins turned on. They really were quite chatty and affable on the phone as they organised a collection and replacement, so I just went on that experience. I guess on reflection I just meant that they wouldn’t deny the request.

• Like 2

I think we all like a bargain but there comes a price point when for me it`s just not worth the risk of buying a total lemon. These Glarry`s come into that category for me.

At least with a HB you have a better chance of getting something really good and not just for the money.

• Like 2

I love a bargain it's true. It's also true I will buy multiple iterations of cheap items eventually spending more than the tried and tested brand would've cost me. 

But I suppose a lot depends upon where the thrill is. If it's in the chase, the journey, rather than the kill, the destination, then there is value in the hunt itself.

I've learned that price is the single most misleading factor in bass quality. Largely because it's so utterly subjective. Bloke A couldn't care less about certain elements that bloke B considers of absolutely paramount importance.

My top 5 basses include a few retailing easily for in excess of a thousand pounds but also the cheapest Harley Benton I've ever bought.

• Like 1