Why become a member? ×

Effectrode PC-2A vs Diamond BCP-1... Not a review (yet)

Ander87

Hey gang,

I've always liked my compressors simple (not many knobs, easy to set) and 'always on' / tone enhancing types.

Need them to thicken up my treble strings playing on pick with distortion and fatten up everything on clean and finger style.

I've recently built a mini board and an Effectrode PC-2A is at the heart of it - now whilst on holidays in Spain I've a chance for a Diamond BCP-1 at around £200, same as the Effectrode I have.

What shall I expect? Is it worth a swap? I know the general advise will be 'get both, sell whichever you like least', and probably is what I will be doing, but I do not have a lot of experience with compressors and would love to hear your thoughts or experiences from folks who've had both, and definitely a 'what to listen for'.

Like I said I like simple operation, tone enhancing, always on and versatility for pick/fingers over clean/distortion - little do I ask eh?!

Hoping this will evolve into a comparison/review once I have both, with the help of everyone I hope!

Thanks!

Ander.

• Like 1

Hahaha! I will not lie i do remember I had a conversation regarding the Fat General some time ago with another basschatter, some 2-3 years ago before I gave up on pedals only to come back again 😂 funny enough I was speaking recently in PM with another bc’er interested in my Effectrode… oh lord…!

so you have it? Have you had a chance to have a go at it? Hmmm!

Ander. 

6 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Hahaha! I will not lie i do remember I had a conversation regarding the Fat General some time ago with another basschatter, some 2-3 years ago before I gave up on pedals only to come back again 😂 funny enough I was speaking recently in PM with another bc’er interested in my Effectrode… oh lord…!

so you have it? Have you had a chance to have a go at it? Hmmm!

Ander. 

I built a clone of the Fat General (Pedalpcb General Tso) and it knocked a Cali76 CB off my board - like you I prefer something simple, set and forget, as far as compressors go. The CB is an AWESOME pedal, but the Tso could get the sound and, more importantly, the response I was looking for from a compressor with fewer controls, and allow me to free up a fair wedge of dough for other pedal projects. 

• Like 1

Hmmm…! If only I had a clue about soldering and that world of clones I would well consider - geez the fat general is now a hefty £240…!

I remember not so long ago it was £170, oh well…!

Going for that Diamond BCP-1, at £170 I have to try it then will sell whichever I like least out of those two… I would defo like a try at the Fat General or clone if I see any…!

Ander. 

• Like 1

I've had both Ander,although I didn't have the Effectrode for long (i traded it for a Diamond, the Basschatter, then publicly said I was a fool for doing it 😆)

The effectrode is a gorgeous fat syrupy comp, but I found with my gear, I either got too much or not enough compression. As you know it has the soft/hard knee which means it's better at limiting than the Diamond. As I saw it the Tube was mearly a gain stage and not used for compression (like the Markbass compressore). Which did add to the optical circuits warmth, making it great for P bass, but highs were subdued. I also had weird feedback issues when I used the effectrode in front of an EHX Bass big muff. Also it's very power hungry (400ma) and it's advised that pedals don't go either side of the vents so is difficult to use on a small board. I had to power it separately which was a PITA 😁

The Diamond has a fixed 3:1 ratio which I think is lower than PC2A, but is enough for most Bass applications. This pedal is really a sweetener and can't get as squashed, but it really does fatten and add sheen. You think it isn't doing anything, until you get rid of it, and all of a sudden your other pedals don't sound as good 😆 it's also very quiet, and has much better high end. It has a little switch inside to remove the EQ circuit for "Audiophile purists" but I kept the (very useful) EQ at noon and couldn't tell the difference.

The Diamond really needs 18v power IF you're using active basses, and has a weird polarity power socket, it ships with a little red adaptor, if you're buying one used make sure they've got it.

Both of these will give you what you want.

For me I'd go with the Diamond, but I use a comp for Tonal sweetening not Dynamic control/ technique plaster or "Stabilisers" as ive heard them called 🤣 so it's function is perfect for. As we've discussed before I found the Nemphasis VTBASS comp does the same job, if you can find a 3 leaf Pwnzor it dies as well with more control. The FEA Optifet is my favourite ever, a great middle ground between a Diamond and a Cali76CB (to my ears) 

I'm currently using a Darkglass Hyper luminal and hugely impressed actually. 3 distinct and very usable compression sounds, although it does add a bit of mojo, its cleaner than the above mentioned pedals 😁

I know a couple more chatters have tried both and will hopefully chip with their thoughts.

Edited by lee650

Hey Lee, so good to hear from you buddy, thank you for your post!

Ah, I do remember the Nemphasis I had from you, the last pedal I held onto before I oversimplified my rig - that was in between bands and now that I'm full back into one band and forming another, pedals get important again, aye?

The Nemphasis had that very nice tone-enhancing, always on mode I liked with simple operation.

Whilst I'm more permissive to 'just fatten up' and sacrifice treble for neosoul and clean, for my punk rock gig I need to keep that treble (going in with Jazz neck pickup mostly) whilst thickening up a bit... I do all pick so it's not like I need a lot of attack/release controls, long as all strings sound similar volume and it 'riches up' the tone, I'll be happy...

I do have that feeling that the Effectrode would satisfy more my 'clean rig', especially on a P bass with flats, that low mids thing, but not as sure that it does for the distortion and fuzz I add behind it on passages with the punk rock band...!

I will be getting the Diamond with the adaptor and the power supply for £170 which seems a steal considering they're all £250ish and outside UK... Will try to do an A/B once I'm back and decide from there - nice of the Effectrode on the top mounting jacks and love the silent operation but I've heard it the Diamond is really quiet too (phew!).

As you suggest, with the EQ control I can fatten up for neosoul and boost treble for punk rock if need be.

Best,

Ander.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Any update regarding this comparison Ander ?

I liked the Diamond, both new & old versions, but stupidly sold both lol … however I am interested in the Effectrode now before I go hunting for another (reasonably priced lol) Diamond ….

Heeeey! Regrettably I didn’t get ahold of the diamond. My dad had surgery scheduled etc etc so it all felt a bit too tense to indulge in meeting folk for gear…

having said that I did end up with the Lusithand Alma compressor and I’m loving it. It’s essentially a Diamond with a blend control and an internal voltage doubler that ends up operating to up to 32v ish, lots of headroom and tone enhancements. 

I’ve had it for a good couple months and it stays on always!

12B7F22E-437D-4390-BA3E-AB82DC0A7492.thumb.jpeg.9311569bec69317539c6a560a672716f.jpeg

A44AA7D4-47CB-4236-B4C0-92CD1628208E.thumb.jpeg.2f9e504f65fd5627d4b7dc738c3973da.jpeg

I will say this project is finally finished now…!

• Like 1