Why become a member? ×

String Madness

Jslack

DB strings can be really aggravating - so many choices with very little way to predict accurately what the result will be until you throw down the money and take the plunge.

Just out of interest, how long are you sticking with a particular set of strings before moving on to the next thing?

My experience is that sticking with any change allows me to adapt my approach and get better results even if my initial reaction to the sound/feel is unfavourable - I've read many accounts of people taking new strings off their DBs after a very short trial period, but my personal experience is that it takes a while for the strings/bass to settle and for me to figure out how to get the best out of them.

Back in the day there wasn't anywhere near the string choice we have nowadays....

• Like 1

I have kept the set  on for a good two month's or more of all-day- night - playing. I slap the strings like they owe dough! I tried mixing too, I changed my tail gut that gave me a lot more sustain, I noticed on the E that was w/ the superiors, A_D & Innovation, silver slaps E_G. I'm trying to mainly soften the fingerboard, Click to more  warmer, less tinky, tanky hollow click my preamp is a shadow RB pro..      J.

Talk to lots of people, dealers included, they know stuff.  Try different basses with different strings.  Get the set you like most with the most recommendation and stick with it.

In end the notes you play matter more than what they sound llike.

In the 35 years I've owned a bass it's had three sets of strings. Should have dumped the helicore hybrids 10 years ago mind. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have also tried Whackers. Much too clicky on my bass, very little actual note. Zero sustain.

Silver slaps I liked very much. Again a bit too clicky on my fingerboard, but a good, defined note and plenty of sustain.  I found the harmonic profile of the A in the set to be slightly too growly. Like a bass guitar string.

I now have one bass set up for slap,  with natural gut D, G, and Evah Pirazzi slap (the cheaper synthetic gut ones) on E, A.  On my particular,  inexpensive bass it's a great combination.  Nice vintage thud. The click is less sharp and brittle. The sustain is moderate, but its enough.  For arco you need to dig into them a bit to get them to start, but it's a nice dark tone.