Why become a member? ×

15 gauge strings on 6 string

NewUser

I have a six string electric guitar, (not a bass) B.C. Rich S.O.B. and came across these strings and wondered if I put them on my guitar, if I would be able to tune the whole guitar down an octave? Don't know if it matters but guitar has an emg 81

Thanks in advance!

briv50ulnjzrp15jf4vn.jpg

I don't think so -- although the top strings are noticeable heavy the others aren't nearly heavy enough to go down a full octave, e.g. this 11-56 set is sold for D standard tuning.

The bottom 6 of an 8 string set might get you closer, but that .074 will be optimised for a low F# at ~27" scale, and IME that's still a compromise. Also a lot of regular guitar tuners won't fit more than a .060 or so without either drilling out the tuner or unwinding the string.

• Thanks 1

If you want to tune down an octave from standard guitar tuning you will need a set of Bass VI strings and with the shortened scale length probably one of the heavier versions.

If you want flats AFAIK only LaBella do a set - 26 to 95 highest to lowest. Picato are also supposed to do a set but I can't find any details so assume that these are no longer available.

If you want round wound string you have more choice:

LaBella: 26-95

Newtone Axion: 24-100

GHS Eastwood Hooky: 30-105

I'd start with the Newtones as they are the cheapest and see how you get on.

However you might need to replace the machine heads with a set designed for a Fender or Squier Bass VI which have guitar-sized gears and buttons but a slotted string post wide enough for a typical Bass VI string.

Ultimately you might be better off selling the guitar and buying a Squier Bass VI instead.

Edit: The set of guitar strings you posted won't be anything like heavy enough. I use a 56 "E" for drop D tuning on one of my guitars. Tuned any lower and it would be flopping about all over the place.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2022 at 12:14, NewUser said:

I have a six string electric guitar, (not a bass) B.C. Rich S.O.B. and came across these strings and wondered if I put them on my guitar, if I would be able to tune the whole guitar down an octave? Don't know if it matters but guitar has an emg 81

Thanks in advance!

briv50ulnjzrp15jf4vn.jpg

Those would normally be tuned to standard guitar pitch, and used on something like an archtop or Jazzmaster

• Like 1