Why become a member? ×

Live-streaming equipment

Russ

So me and the band are looking into doing some livestreams from our rehearsal space. We’ve tried it before, but the sound is atrocious when you just try and do it from your phone.

What would be an appropriate setup be to livestream with decent sound and picture quality? I’m guessing a decent HD camera, a couple of good mics with a mixer, an audio interface and a decently powerful laptop to plug it all into? 

Also, what software would you use to control it all (assuming I use a Mac)?

I’m pretty tech-savvy but online video is still pretty new to me! :D Any suggestions would be welcome. 

We did 2 streamed gigs during lockdown...

The first thing I discovered was that our broadband upload speed needed to be at least 10 Megs, preferably more! So we recorded it and sent it to someone to play out when the time came - they had sufficient speed.

Also, and  luckily, our drummer had left so I programmed drums using EZ drummer as a backing which made micing drums and stuff disappear as a problem.

We played quietly, with everything recorded onto Ableton on my laptop through a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I gave it all a quick polish using Neutron 3 and Ozone 9 and it went out quite happily - we only used one fixed camera btw and did the entire gig in 1 take... Here's a snippet!

• Like 1

We live stream via the OSB platform using a digital mixing desk and a video camera. We essentailly do everything like a full gig and monitor with in ear monitors. ElGato Cam Link is used to connect a decent camera to a PC and it all syncs up with a little tinkering. Allows us to stream fully live with decent sound. Here's one we did a few years ago from my back garden.

Edited by mrtcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

We live stream via the OSB platform using a digital mixing desk and a video camera. We essentailly do everything like a full gig and monitor with in ear monitors. ElGato Cam Link is used to connect a decent camera to a PC and it all syncs up with a little tinkering. Allows us to stream fully live with decent sound. Here's one we did a few years ago from my back garden.

Like that. Gonna sneak off and see it all later👍

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Like that. Gonna sneak off and see it all later👍

Cheeky question, Listening to live play (In my case in church) and all sounds good. Get back home and replay the music on YouTube and find singers seem off key (a bit flat)

Any ideas. I am not part of the tech team but have you experienced this? If so is it a you tube thing or something our end. Latency or what or some piece equipment they don't have?