Why become a member? ×

Laptop, All in One, or Desktop for making music

Nicko

6 hours ago, Nicko said:

I'm only looking at going from Cubase 7 LE (which was free with the interface and quite restricted functionality) to Cubase Elements which should more than satisfy my needs.  I did consider going down the Reaper route but I know some people really don't get on with it.  Most of the options I'm looking at are win 11, although I've seen a few that aren't and I think the point you make is something I hadn't considered.  I was veering toward this with 32GB and a 2nd drive, but may have to think again.

Ultimas 1600

You would need to get confirmation that this laptop has the doohickey that windows 11 needs to run upfront (it is called a trusted platform module) basically any PC that doesn't have an appropriate TPM 2.0 chip isn't going to run Win11.

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Logic is free for upgrades within a major version number. So all upgrades to Logic X (10), and we're currently on 10.7.something IIRC, are included in the price. And there have been some pretty significant improvements and additional features added between the first version of Logic X and the current one. When Logic 11 comes out it, if you want to get it, you will have to pay the full price for the new version. However at £199 it is IMO a complete steal. In the early days (I've been a user since V1.x) it cost about £400 just for the MIDI sequencing version. The Audio addition was an extra £300-400 and if you wanted the next paid upgrade (some of the x.5 versions were paid upgrades) that was another £200-300 for each of the MIDI and Audio sections.

Thanks for pitching in and confirming the situation.

22 minutes ago, SubsonicSimpleton said:

You would need to get confirmation that this laptop has the doohickey that windows 11 needs to run upfront (it is called a trusted platform module) basically any PC that doesn't have an appropriate TPM 2.0 chip isn't going to run Win11.

Intel state that any Intel Core chipset gen 8 or later includes onboard TPM 2.0 compatibility, so it shouldn't be an issue.

9 hours ago, Nicko said:

I'm only looking at going from Cubase 7 LE (which was free with the interface and quite restricted functionality) to Cubase Elements which should more than satisfy my needs.  I did consider going down the Reaper route but I know some people really don't get on with it.  Most of the options I'm looking at are win 11, although I've seen a few that aren't and I think the point you make is something I hadn't considered.  I was veering toward this with 32GB and a 2nd drive, but may have to think again.

Ultimas 1600

Although on a Desktop/W11, I run Nuendo 12 (same audio engine as Cubase 12) on an 11th Generation Intel i7 Quad Core Processor (8 Threads) with 32 gigs of Ram.

I use a USB Steinberg UR22C USB 3 Interface, and everything runs absolutely as smooth as it gets. All my third-party/vendor VSTi's and VST's run with no problems on W11.

With the specs of the ÚLTIMAS 1600, you will have zero problems with Cubase.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

I ended up buying a laptop from Music-PC with 2 x 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD C drive and 1TB secondary SSD.  They were really helpful and the laptop was delivered loaded with Cubase Elements and the Focusrite driver.  A bit of a strange way to work as I had to order Cubase and then pass the activation codes and more worryingly my Steinberg login details to them to them - not sure why they couldn't buy it on my behalf but no great problem once I'd convinced myself it was legit.

There was a slight delay when they realised they'd loaded it with Windows 11 even though I ordered Windows 10 (which I ordered because I couldn't see an option for Win 11 on the website).  For some reason rather than asking if that was OK they rebuilt it with Win 10.

Ordered 12 Dec and arrived today which is pretty good considering the bank holidays, the Windows 11 issue and faffing around with Steinberg accounts.  Had that not been the case I suspect they might have got it shipped before Xmas  I haven't used it in anger yet but there was nothing similar available for anywhere near the price and comes with lifetime support.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2023 at 12:13, Nicko said:

Just a quick update.

I ended up buying a laptop from Music-PC with 2 x 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD C drive and 1TB secondary SSD.  They were really helpful and the laptop was delivered loaded with Cubase Elements and the Focusrite driver.  A bit of a strange way to work as I had to order Cubase and then pass the activation codes and more worryingly my Steinberg login details to them to them - not sure why they couldn't buy it on my behalf but no great problem once I'd convinced myself it was legit.

There was a slight delay when they realised they'd loaded it with Windows 11 even though I ordered Windows 10 (which I ordered because I couldn't see an option for Win 11 on the website).  For some reason rather than asking if that was OK they rebuilt it with Win 10.

Ordered 12 Dec and arrived today which is pretty good considering the bank holidays, the Windows 11 issue and faffing around with Steinberg accounts.  Had that not been the case I suspect they might have got it shipped before Xmas  I haven't used it in anger yet but there was nothing similar available for anywhere near the price and comes with lifetime support.

looks like a lot of ooomphh fo the price.