Why become a member? ×

NKD. Casio MZ-2000

Maude

I've just bought a keyboard but I know absolutely nothing about them. 

I wanted something to add some swooshy background ambience to some planned recordings so was low level looking for a cheap keyboard. 

This Casio popped up on facebook marketplace last night fifteen minutes away. 

A quick Google/YouTube and it seems that back in the day it was something quite special. It has synth section where you can build your own sounds with oscillators etc, so I should be able to get what I want out of. If not it was twenty quid and they seem to fetch decent money if you find the right buyer, there's one on Reverb at the mo for £399, but that is Reverb pricing! 

It needs a quick clean up and I don't know that everything works, it powers up, screen works and it makes sounds, but hey it's twenty quid. 

Looking forward to a new toy to get to grips with. 

It's bloody big too! 

S4rfWun.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah yes, the point at which Casio first made a serious attempt to distinguish themselves from Bon Tempi and cheap calculators by moving upmarket with their keyboards.

I'll bet that array of on-board speakers sounds pretty damned good? Makes it bloody heavy, mind. 🙄

I always thought Casio piano sounds were good and string sounds were excellent, but their brass was disappointing.

Yeah the speakers still keep it in home toy territory. They sound good but take up a lot of room and weight. 

Personally I'd just have headphones or a line out. 

I'll never want or need a proper keyboard so this will do fine. 

• 1 month later...

I've had a month of getting to grips with this and I bloody love it. 

A good clean first and it's in really good shape. 

As far as I've found so far everything works. 

I know it's kind of pretending to be a real keyboard, and most of it is way out of my understanding, but I'm amazed at what this thing can do. 

I'm still stuck in the early 80s sonically so it's sounds suit me just fine. The pianos and electric pianos are really good, it has it's own versions of most the big names, even other manufacturers trademark sounds, the strings are good too. Loads of sounds I'll never use as well. 

It has an in depth synth section which seems fairly easy to create your own synth sounds as well as just tweak the onboard ones, and a sequencer, the bits that interested me. It seems that you can use it like a recording desk but I haven't got into that yet. Lots of features like polyphonic aftertouch which baffles me (something to do with midi I think) but hints that Casio must've meant business with this keyboard. 

I no pianist but the pianos are that good that I've found myself coming up with a lot of new stuff that I never intended to. Anything that inspires you to write new music must be good, right? 

I've bought far too much gear this year but this is one of the best things, and only twenty quid. 

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

20 quid?

Yeah I know but that's what he advertised it for. I felt a little guilty but I just wanted a cheap keyboard to try and didn't want to spend much, and he was happy for someone to make use of it. He said he was going to take it to the tip. At the time he only knew it powered up and I didn't try it. He was round a friends house for dinner and I met him in the driveway there. 

On 30/12/2022 at 22:37, Maude said:

Yeah I know but that's what he advertised it for. I felt a little guilty but I just wanted a cheap keyboard to try and didn't want to spend much, and he was happy for someone to make use of it. He said he was going to take it to the tip. At the time he only knew it powered up and I didn't try it. He was round a friends house for dinner and I met him in the driveway there. 

I want one

I wasn’t knocking you for paying £20, more disbelieving that such a nice thing could be had for £20

• Like 1