Why become a member? ×

Double bass - Listening Recomendations

Gardenerben

Ok. Just ... Wow. Fantastic clean technique too ... evidently Simandl is all you need. And a reminder that I don't listen to enough classical music.

It's like she's playing an extended range cello.

I especially enjoyed watching to see how she keeps from tangling her bow in her pony tail 😁

On 11/12/2022 at 09:28, NickA said:

Ok. Just ... Wow. Fantastic clean technique too ... evidently Simandl is all you need. And a reminder that I don't listen to enough classical music.

It's like she's playing an extended range cello.

I especially enjoyed watching to see how she keeps from tangling her bow in her pony tail 😁

That's where all the good stuff is, up there in the rosin dust. Phoebe is a Goddess, and a really cool human being too. Simandl and Petracchi are all you need....

On 13/12/2022 at 22:38, neilp said:

up there in the rosin dust.

I tend to just play that stuff on my cello!  But there is a satisfaction from plumbing the lower depths as well as soaring to the rosin dust ... and some things I originally learned on the cello, just sound better on a double bass ( Bach2 serenade, Rachmaninoff Vocalise for starters).

9 hours ago, NickA said:

I tend to just play that stuff on my cello!  But there is a satisfaction from plumbing the lower depths as well as soaring to the rosin dust ... and some things I originally learned on the cello, just sound better on a double bass ( Bach2 serenade, Rachmaninoff Vocalise for starters).

Vocalise is a very enjoyable start to the thumb position adventure. Pretty simple, a lovely melody and easy playing. I have to say I do love orchestral playing too, and that's where the cash is!

10 hours ago, neilp said:

extraordinary

I find that one quite upspetting. Having proudly worked it out in the original key at bass register, I watched originally to see what fingering and key she used .... Only to find she plays it AT PITCH.  It's not massively easy on a cello ffs.

I don't agree with her bowing mind ... I'm a bit of an Anna Bylsmer fan 😉

The bowing is a practical compromise. The only way to play this musically on the bass is to regard the slurs in the manuscript as phrasing marks rather than bowing! There are other versions you might like to listen to as well. Joel Quarrington tunes his bass in 5ths, so the whole thing makes more sense for him. And the great, sadly missed Rinat Ibragimov is always worth listening to