Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Jack Casady Epi basses?

Ccwg_Bass

24 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Anyone had any electronics repairs made to a JC bass?  Tone control doesn't seem to be working for me.  Would prefer to give to a tech with experience of the hollowbody electrics, if anyone had a recommendation.

I can't give you any recommendations, but if it helps any I can say is that the JC is pretty easy to work on because the thing is completely hollow - no centre block getting in the way.  Also, I rewired a semi-hollow bass (with centre block), and if an amateur, ham-fisted dorkasaurus like me can do it, then I'm sure just about anyone could once they lose the fear.

• Like 2

I had a lovely JC bass for a while.

Pros: Looked amazing, played beautifully, a lot more versatile than expected but with a real character of its own. People who’d seen my band for years suddenly noticed I was there thanks to me shapethrowing with a big gold bass on stage. Beautifully made too. 

Cons: Mine had ghastly neck dive (all my other basses have conventional top horns) and was prone to feedback when playing very loud on a small stage (part of a multi band gig with shared backline, so I was limited to what choices I had). 

Ultimately I sold it to fund a MIJ Mustang bass, which is more versatile for my style. But I keep lusting over a JC whenever they pop up for sale.