Why become a member? ×

Double bass fingering

Ray

I've just got myself a Stagg EDB and after some reseach on fingerings and technique it seems that using only the index, middle and little finger of the left hand seems the standard way to play if you're right handed.

I've been playing the Stagg using electric bass fingering, ie. one finger per note, using all 4 fingers, which seems ok. I have quite big hands. To give you an idea of my span, I can easily play a 9th interval (C-D) on a piano and just about play a 10th (C-E).

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to carry on like this or should I learn to play the "proper" way? :)

Does anyone else play double bass using 4 fingers?

[quote name='Ray' post='468350' date='Apr 21 2009, 12:28 PM']I've just got myself a Stagg EDB and after some reseach on fingerings and technique it seems that using only the index, middle and little finger of the left hand seems the standard way to play if you're right handed.

I've been playing the Stagg using electric bass fingering, ie. one finger per note, using all 4 fingers, which seems ok. I have quite big hands. To give you an idea of my span, I can easily play a 9th interval (C-D) on a piano and just about play a 10th (C-E).

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to carry on like this or should I learn to play the "proper" way? :)

Does anyone else play double bass using 4 fingers?[/quote]

Only 3 fingers here, as thats how I was taught - he never seemed to need 4 fingers and blew me away with his playing. I guess if 3 is enough why use 4? If I recall the reasoning was that the 4th and 3rd fingers are "linked" as it were meaning its hard to use the 4th finger without the 3rd being dragged along, so why not use them together as one unit?

Something like that anyway! as ever though, there will be expections to all rules.

J

when i started on my artisan EUB i used normal 4 finger (EB) approach. but i've just started working on a 'proper' upright for an upcoming show and have found myself switching to the 3 finger.

one thing i've noticed when using 4 fingers is that your constantly stretched to fingers become tired VERY quickly, and intonation is a lot trickier. also when using 4, i've found myself holding the neck like an EB (ie, with the thumb pressed against the back of the neck), which again wears out your hand because an upright neck is just too thick for this. when using 3 finger approach your thumb wraps round the neck making everything much much easier.

i tried for a long time to stick with the 4 finger approach, but it just aint right.

Double has a right old rep for hurting the unwary, so I'd stick with the tried and tested 1st, 2nd, 4th backed up by 3rd in the lower positions at least to start with. I do find myself going to that on electric sometimes. Similarly I sometimes use all 4 in the middle positions on the double.
Above 12 forget the 4th finger.. the angle goes all wrong and you can damage yourself!

Below about 6th position (1st finger on the octave G for instance), you should never use the third finger. In the lower positions, correct fingering is 1,2,4, with the larger gap being between the 1st & 2nd fingers. This way the whole hand covers only one tone & intonation is reliable. When using for instance a 4th finger note, make sure you've got all four fingers on the board at the same time. The 1st & 2nd may be lifted for vibrato purposes. Also while in the lower positions, the thumb should remain behind the 2nd finger & should move in sync with the rest of the hand, the left hand moving as 'a unit', as it were. Make sure that you never take all fingers off when changing string. Leaving a finger (or fingers) in reserve on the previous string increases speed and makes left hand movement significantly more economical.

As has already been mentioned, the third finger comes into play higher up & usually involves "thumb position", where the thumb sits across the top two strings about an inch behind the index finger. The thumb need not press on the strings. It's only there as a guide for the hand shape.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Guest subaudio

Yep, I would go 1, 2 and 4, you can hurt yourself with a DB if your not carefull, and it really helps with intontation too.

I would definatlety recomend lessons, even if it's only a few to get basic technique down, it will make your life a heck of a lot easier.