Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 vs TC Sub 'n' Up

Bass Culture

I presently have a Boss OC-5 and an EBS Unichorus as my only effects, which I use rarely anyway.  I keep toying with the idea of acquiring a TC Plethora X-3 instead, just to tidy things up, but was wondering how (especially) the Sub 'n' Up on the Plethora compares to the OC-5.  Anyone been in a position to compare them?

I haven't used the OC5, but I do use an old OC2, and for me that is the octave sound. I've got the Sub n Up and I think it's ok, but not great. I found the octave sound to be a bit bland and characterless. No where near as good as the Boss or the EBS (or even the Whammy if you want 8va). 

Having said that, it's not actually a bad pedal and will probably be fine for a lot of players. I just far prefer the sounds of analogue octavers.

• Thanks 1

Not tried the TC but have had a lot of octave pedals.

I have the OC-5 and I don’t think anything else I’ve tried tracks as well. The microPog was very close but had a much more artificial, synthy sort of quality to it. Great for tunes that wanted it, but not my personal bag.