Why become a member? ×

Beginners information and help

Gary Bloomfield

Hello, need advice please looking at getting back to learning  bass been a long time since last picked up a bass 

Delemia  im left handed  do i buy a cheaper set up ie chicargo  or the likes to learn or do i buy something a bit better that i will not not have to replace once i become better  max budget for bass practice amp and any other bits and pieces £500

Cheers in advance 

Gary 

On 15/10/2022 at 10:19, Gary Bloomfield said:

Hello, need advice please looking at getting back to learning  bass been a long time since last picked up a bass 

Delemia  im left handed  do i buy a cheaper set up ie chicargo  or the likes to learn or do i buy something a bit better that i will not not have to replace once i become better  max budget for bass practice amp and any other bits and pieces £500

Cheers in advance 

Gary 

Hi Gary,

First of all, welcome! With regards to gear, you can't go wrong with Yamaha, my first bass was an RBX270, light, plays amazingly (I have had it professionally set up) and the tone is good enough for most gigs, plus you avoid paying the Fender premium! Nothing wrong with Squier or Fender obviously they are solid guitars! Ibanez make some great gear as well. Ashdown make some great amps that will be good for practice and for as you start to improve. If you have a budget of £500 and you are more than happy to spend that on your bass gear, buy second hand and get good equipment! You can get a brilliant set up in that budget that could last you years. The joy of second hand is that unless you trash the gear, you're unlikely to lose a huge amount if you decided to sell! For example, I bought an Ashdown cab for £80, it's not the best but I could sell it for exactly what I paid with no issues!

The buy/sell section of this forum is great because it is unlikely that anyone here would sell you anything dodgy knowingly. You can always post questions on bass chat and the hive mind will always be on hand to help if we can! 

Whilst buying a £15,000 guitar won't make you a better player obviously, there is a hell of a difference between the very cheaply made unknown brand guitars and the trusted (yamaha/ibanez/fender and their subsidiaries) brands "beginner" ranges! Some of the budget gear is horrible to play and could put you off rather than encourage you to continue playing.

Thanks for your input have looked at and read some poor reviews on a few cheap end brands yamaha ibanez and squirer are the main 3 i have been viewing  im a lefty so selection is a bit harder choice wise 

Ibanes can buy new for £250 ish  squirer £370. Yamaha  a bit more 

Would love a preloved one  but at this time it  may have to be new   can't see anything  within travel range  but will keep a look out 

You know of any other buying sites i can look at cheers

Regards Gary 

3 minutes ago, Gary Bloomfield said:

Thanks for your input have looked at and read some poor reviews on a few cheap end brands yamaha ibanez and squirer are the main 3 i have been viewing  im a lefty so selection is a bit harder choice wise 

Ibanes can buy new for £250 ish  squirer £370. Yamaha  a bit more 

Would love a preloved one  but at this time it  may have to be new   can't see anything  within travel range  but will keep a look out 

You know of any other buying sites i can look at cheers

Regards Gary 

Keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, Ebay, Reverb all are great places to find some great gear at bargain prices! 

• Rich changed the title to Beginners information and help
On 16/10/2022 at 16:03, nekomatic said:

Hi Gary!

You should be able to get yourself a decent setup within that budget, at least to start out on - have a look in the Bass Guitars and Amps and Cabs sections to see what people are recommending at the moment. 

Harley Benton are releasing a Jazz  lefty in surf green. They are being talked about on these pages. Maybe the best value you will find

On 15/10/2022 at 10:19, Gary Bloomfield said:

Cheers in advance 

Gary 

Harley Benton are releasing a Jazz  lefty in surf green. They are being talked about on these pages. Maybe the best value you will find

Hi guys finally bit the bullet 

After more than half a dozen people saying i got one for sale then not getting back to me with a response when i was willing to buy i've bought new ibanez sr300 and a fender rumble happy it was within budget 

Only con isthe rumble has a euro plug so ordered a convertor as fender states if i cut it offwill invalidate warrenty 

20221027_162418.jpg

20221027_162257.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gary Bloomfield said:

Hi guys finally bit the bullet 

After more than half a dozen people saying i got one for sale then not getting back to me with a response when i was willing to buy i've bought new ibanez sr300 and a fender rumble happy it was within budget 

Only con isthe rumble has a euro plug so ordered a convertor as fender states if i cut it offwill invalidate warrenty 

20221027_162418.jpg

20221027_162257.jpg

Great choice on the Ibanez, the SR's are great instruments and good luck with everything!