Why become a member? ×

need to mike up a double bass live

wotnwhy

If you're not looking for a jaw-dropping sound I suppose any mic in the vicinity of the bass will do. The quick and easy solution seems to be a SM57 in a sponge and stuffed down the tail-piece pointing up towards the bridge. My advice to anyone starting out to amp a bass would be to use a pickup and then............use another pickup and then............when you're really comfortable with your sound try experimenting with a mic, such as the SM57. I've played around with mics but it's just too much hassle. I'm talking gigs rather than recording.

[quote name='bassace' post='466955' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:10 PM']If you're not looking for a jaw-dropping sound I suppose any mic in the vicinity of the bass will do. The quick and easy solution seems to be a SM57 in a sponge and stuffed down the tail-piece pointing up towards the bridge.[/quote]

That's a good tip indeed. I've had my best results using a mic with the H-Clamp;

[url="http://www.exploraudio.com/productdetail.php?pid=11&vid=18"]http://www.exploraudio.com/productdetail.p...d=11&vid=18[/url]

Works really well, and sound engineers love it, but as you say it is not always ideal live, being more prone to feedback than a pickup. I've had the best results when using it in conjunction with a good front of house PA, especially playing in musicals and similar where there is a significant amount of arco playing.

Jennifer

The mike wrapped in foam and wedged down the tailpiece is the "classic" way to do it..and can sound good, as long as you're not in a loud environment and have a good engineer. You probably won't hear it at all....but the audience might.

When is your gig? I have a Fishman BP100 and preamp gathering dust if you want to borrow it for the gig. Not the best sounding thing but won't feedback as quickly as a mic and you can run it into an amp.

PM me if interested.

tried the AKG down the tailpiece today (couldn't find my PG48..), it certainly works. though feedback does kick in exceptionally early. hopefully the PG and/or better padding, eqing, setup etc. will give me a good enough sound.

and if TPJ's exceedingly generous offer works, it should work out to sound pretty good! :)