Why become a member? ×

Which Amp and Cabs? I can't make a decision.

dpaulb

I`ve had all of those amps, loved them all, still have both the ABM600 and RM500 as I`m now an Ashdown kinda guy - they have great customer support here in the UK and their products are awesome.

I`d want two cabs with all of the amps mentioned but the ABM600 is the one I`d recommend over the others, put it on a very big stage and the difference becomes apparent, not so much for the greater power but due to it being a Class A/B amp - the size & weight of the notes just have more presence. It`s also the most versatile of the amps listed.

That said if you love the Ampeg sound the PF is a nice amp, really captures that classic sound nicely.

• Like 3

So... I haven't had the Ampeg. But I have had both Ashdowns and the cabs.

RM500, great amp head. Really good as a solid stand alone gig unit, bypass the EQ and use a preamp pedal or modeller or whatever if that's what you do. I used RM cabs then went to the ABM Pro Neos which just have a bit more presence to them.

I bought an ABM600 because... I had some gig money and wanted to spend it. Nothing at all wrong with the RM head. The ABM head is superb. The valve drive is really effective, the EQ is fantastic, the compressor is useless but you can't win them all. I use the ABM600 with two ABM Pro Neo 15s and for gigs with PA I have the volume barely on to get a full thick, hefty bass sound. With no PA support there is no problem, volume and presence beyond what you could ever need. 

I guess there's a variance in price across those options so that might influence things, but if money wasn't an issue I'd go ABM600. 

On 20/09/2022 at 22:53, dpaulb said:

These are my choices:

1. Ashdown ABM 300-EVO IV or ABM-600-EVO IV and ABM 115H-EVO IV-Pro NEO

2. Ashdown RM-500-EVO II and 2 RMCAB115 EVO II

3 Ampeg PF-500 and 2 PF112HLF or 2 PF115HE

I was considering all of those amps but think I'm going to treat myself and go for the RM-800-EVO II. I have an Ashdown cab coming my way thanks to @Merton but there will be some Barefaced Two10S cabs in my future. Not my immediate future mind you, but the future nonetheless...

• Like 1