Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Precision information...

~tl

Got a few questions about vintage Precisions, specifically ones produced in 1964, for a possible restoration project. According to [url="http://www.guitarcolonel.com/newsletters/newsletter%20volume%201%20issue%202.html"]this page[/url] they should have a decal with a spaghetti logo and 4 patent numbers between 1963 and 1966. However, [url="http://www.timeelect.com/64pbass.htm"]this page[/url] seems to indicate that the later style (1966-1968 on the first page) logo was in use in 1964, and a couple of other photos I've found on the internet seem to confirm this. Does anyone know which is the correct decal for a guitar of this period? Could 1964 have been when they changed over? The bass has clay dots rather than pearl ones, which are identified as a change in the "Late 1964" model on that first page. Did the earlier 1964 models have the spaghetti logo and clay dots and the later ones pearl dots and other logo?

Also, what is the correct scratch-plate colour for one finished in fiesta red from this period. A quick Google seem to indicate that some fiesta red ones have cream while others have tort.

Cheers all!

According to "The Fender Bass - an illustrated history", in late 1964, clay face dot markers on the fingerboard are replaced by faux pearl dots. White three-ply vinyl pickguards relplace the problematic nitro material. The Precision bass gets a new block transition style decal. Pickup bobbins change from black to grey-green. The enamel wire on the pickup bobbin changes from a dark brown to a lighter orange enamel. To flush mount the tuning gears, divots are drilled into the back of the headstock.

The block or transition logo started in 1964 and was used until the late 1960's. The groups of patent numbers under the logo increased from 4 to 5 by the end of 1964.

The only pics I can find of 60's Precisions in Fiesta Red all seem to have red tort guards, btw.

Serial numbers for the period are...

Neck plate location
89000-99999... 1963

"L" series neck plate
L00000-L30000... 1963
L15000-L70000... 1964
L50000-L99999... 1965

"F" series neck plate
100000-130000... 1965

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I think we're looking at a transition period here and either decal would suffice on a restoration project - I personally would go with the spagetti logo if it's clay dots, the ' tighter' logo definitely goes with 'pearl' as I remember owning a Dec. '64 with such dots and logo.

As it happens I've an Oct.'63 P-bass for sale at the moment which is a Fiesta red (re-spray) with all original hardware and it carries an 'off-white' pickguard.

Hope this helps.

I just took a look at the first link, and that info has been lifted from the provide.net pages on Fenders. [url="http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html"]http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html[/url]

If you click the link about precision decals you'll get that same picture (originally from one Jim Shine apparently). It doesn't match up with the actual text on the site, which says - "Stratocaster: thin "spaghetti" logo from 1954 to fall 1964. Larger gold "transition" logo from fall 1964 till 1967. Thick "black" logo from 1968 to 1980" and "Pbass, Jazzmaster: followed same trend as the Stratocaster".

I'd go with the text, as it also matches what Duchossoir has to say about the matter in his book on the Strat.

Thanks for the information guys. Going by the serial number it's actually a '63 rather than a '64 – so the spaghetti logo seems correct.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='466382' date='Apr 18 2009, 09:19 PM']As it happens I've an Oct.'63 P-bass for sale at the moment which is a Fiesta red (re-spray) with all original hardware and it carries an 'off-white' pickguard.[/quote]
Do you happen to have a photo?