Why become a member? ×

Jazz wiring harness and pick ups advice

Royle1987

I'm looking to already update my recently purchased Jazz Bass, it as what I think is a parallel set upon the harness and I'm not keen, I want the classic 1 volume, 2 tone control set up

Has anyone any reviews on the below company? 

https://www.myhumbleworkshop.com/

I'm looking at this wiring loom and maybe adding a set of Wilkinson pick ups (heard good things about them at great prices) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255549441038?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=kOM5mf7iTRe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=xqt6onu_sye&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265019969221?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DBz01oPbT22&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=xqt6onu_sye&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Any help appreciated

I don't want to be spending big dollar

Cheers

Royle

12 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Isn't the classic J bass set up two volumes and one tone? i wouldn't (assuming you have a Fender) imagine Wilkinson p/us would be an upgrade. They're decent, but no better than the Fender originals.

@Dan Dareit's what seems to be a CMI 70s copy, very old skool wiring inside. The tone just seems abit all over.

Thinking if I bring the electronics up to date it might bring some life back

13 hours ago, Royle1987 said:

@Dan Dareit's what seems to be a CMI 70s copy, very old skool wiring inside. The tone just seems abit all over.

Thinking if I bring the electronics up to date it might bring some life back

In that case, may well need some work. I'd try re-wiring/new pots and socket first and see how that goes before dropping money on new pickups. J bass wiring is very straightforward if you fancy doing it yourself. Plenty of diagrams online.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Are the routs on the CMI big enough to take regular Jazz pickups?

You can buy a TS100 and a power supply for around £50, can make your own loom up very easily. No need to buy premade.

I haven't had chance to measure them yet. I'll double check before ordering

If not I may just go for a new loom 1st to see how it goes

Realistically you can do all your bass related soldering with the cheapest iron on eBay/AliExpress, the TS100 is a great budget iron that will do you for just everything though, well beyond basic pots/jacks. I've done some board repairs with mine so it's paid for itself a few times over. Passive bass looms are about as basic as soldering gets so there's no need to pay anybody to do it for you.