Why become a member? ×

Playing in the EU

probonopublico

Hi,

An old band of mine has been asked to re-form and play a one off gig in Germany.  We're not even getting paid, just our expenses.  Having said that I suspect we will have to be legit with all of the paperwork and permits.  I've looked through the forums but can't seem to find any posts on the detail of going about this.  Does anyone have any useful links that can provide any enlightenment.

One would think if the festival makes the arrangements and pays the bills you could rightfully go on holiday on their dime. The tricky bit would be going with your instruments.

I would think you could use loaners and answer the border agent question of the purpose of visit honestly as ''going to the music festival''.

• Thanks 1

The promoter has offered us the use of some instruments.  In my case a Fender P. I’d love to take my Rick as it’s more in keeping with the music but tbh I’ll just take a new set of roundwounds. I heard Bruce Foxton recorded with a P bass. The guitarists couldn’t possibly play someone else’s guitar 🙄.  Drummer just needs his sticks.

19 minutes ago, probonopublico said:

... The guitarists couldn’t possibly play someone else’s guitar 🙄.  Drummer just needs his sticks.

Best have all the totally correct visa stamps in the passports then.

Back in the day I toured Europe by train. I got a bunch of visas in Greece to get me round the ex communist countries. Half the time I never got a stamp. I forget which train ride it was but one time the guy was intently studying my passport for a disconcerting amount of time before half grunting half exclaiming a one word announcement and handing it back. The passenger opposite translated after he left. ''Perfect''. I think he was sure the hippy looking character was going to be a catch and disappointed to find I was all legal.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

One would think if the festival makes the arrangements and pays the bills you could rightfully go on holiday on their dime. The tricky bit would be going with your instruments.

I would think you could use loaners and answer the border agent question of the purpose of visit honestly as ''going to the music festival''.

Nobody's going to stop you if you are travelling with a guitar or bass. Lots of people do that all the time with no hassle. There might be some questions if you have amps, pedals, merch, etc though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Turning up with all kit and kaboodle, will raise questions, one band I know had tons of issues and now just take instrument and NOTHING else, and seem to be ok, and so do border staff... the hassle then is gear (and its quality) at the venues end... But on the lower indie, middle league bands I've heard a few paperwork/cost horror stories.

But let's not ruin things with politics... 

• Thanks 1