Why become a member? ×

All of my basses are microphonic!

linear

Practising with a looper, I started with a blank loop just to set the loop length and discovered my bass was picking up the drum track coming from the amp.  I went through the whole signal chain checking the patch cables etc,and it's definitely the bass that's causing it.  Bass straight into amp and playing music from my phone over the pickup confirmed it.  Tried my other basses, and they all do the same!

Is this normal?  They are cheap basses, although one has a genuine Stingray pickup fitted.

How do I fix it? Do I even need to? It's not seemed to be an issue so far.

Any pickup will be microphonic to some extent. How much depends on how well it's designed and constructed - things like wax potting can help. It shouldn't be an issue unless you're working at ear-bleeding levels.

Edited by Dan Dare

On 17/08/2022 at 08:46, Dan Dare said:

Any pickup will be microphonic to some extent. How much depends on how well it's designed and constructed - things like wax potting can help. It shouldn't be an issue unless you're working at ear-bleeding levels.

Thanks.  This is reassuring to hear at least.  The drum track I mentioned was at very comfortable living room levels, from a 10W practice amp no less.  Still, perhaps I should just forget about this until it presents itself as a real world problem.

I did read somewhere that the way the pickup is mounted/supported can have an effect.  It's not inconceivable that the foam beneath the pickups has gotten a bit squishy on all three of my basses.  I may take a look next string change.

… one way I play tunes to band members if we need a reminder at rehearsal is to put the phone above the strings next to the pickups to play the song through the cab, works like a treat if you find the sweet spot 😁👍🏼

Edited by jimbobothy