Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass parts

Roxy

Hi everyone- I’m looking for parts for the old standards- the usual sets played by small bands in pubs.  Has anyone got a library /pad they could copy/ send me for educational purposes please  ( happy to pay a reasonable fee). Or recommendations for a good fake book with accurate / interesting lines. Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2022 at 17:17, Jakester said:

Are you after the actual transcriptions of the parts, or the chord charts/Real Books etc?

Hi, the transcriptions to study the authentic feel of the original versions ( or a tasteful cover version). 

• 2 months later...
On 14/08/2022 at 18:07, Roxy said:

Hi everyone- I’m looking for parts for the old standards- the usual sets played by small bands in pubs.  Has anyone got a library /pad they could copy/ send me for educational purposes please  ( happy to pay a reasonable fee). Or recommendations for a good fake book with accurate / interesting lines. Cheers 

It’s usual to only have chord charts as the bass player will usually improvise their own walking bass line. 

There are books out there that have Jazz bass line transcriptions at the end of them like The Improviser’s Bass Method by Chuck Sher. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, the band use chord charts. I can walk to a good standard off the charts, but I’ve always been a stronger reader and a weak busker  and I’m getting bored with my lines!  I’ve found the Ed Friedland walking  books helpful , as well as the talking bass YouTube stuff. I’ve just bought the Paul Chambers walking in the footsteps of sample transcriptions. 
I’ m being a bit lazy as I don’t have the time to spend many hours listening and absorbing the styles of the greats, and some transcriptions of at least some of the standards would be great. Cheers