Why become a member? ×

Gotoh 201 VS Badass II for a Fender Jazz?

KASH

Appreciate this is an old thread but I have to say the Badass is very overpriced in my opinion. They retail over here at a hundred new, they are changing hands at upwards of £60 on E-Bay! The Gotoh is a real all rounder and a tidier fit in Fenders and less than half the cost of a Badass!

[quote name='bassatnight' post='1045179' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:06 PM']Appreciate this is an old thread but I have to say the Badass is very overpriced in my opinion. They retail over here at a hundred new, they are changing hands at upwards of £60 on E-Bay! The Gotoh is a real all rounder and a tidier fit in Fenders and less than half the cost of a Badass![/quote]

Anybody tried these cheapo stellahs?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stellah-BB-02-Hard-Tail-Bass-Guitar-Bridge-New-/390121572507"]Stellah[/url]

You just beat me too that
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stellah-BB-02-Hard-Tail-Bass-Guitar-Bridge-New-/390121572507?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ad50ec89b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stellah-BB-02-Hard-T...=item5ad50ec89b[/url]
Yes I have just put one on my P bass and its much better than a BBOT. It has the grooves like the Gotoh which are not as tight for sideways movement as a correctly fitted BA. How tight are the Gotoh ones? They look just the same as the stelah to me so saying absolutley no movement is not 100% true.The Stellah is defo not as good as a Badass II and for a change that comes from someone who actually has one on a bass (My modded jazz) :) . The BA is rock solid no clicking and I like the look on retro Fenders more than the schaller.

I disagree about the strung through not making a difference too (Cant remember who said that) The issue with BBOT is the sideways movement of the saddles, Sure its not going to be as bad but if your a right old hamfisted player I think they will still give a little.

All said and done I cant see a problem with the Stellah BB-02 for the money if its just to get rid of the BBOT it does a good job for even less cash than a Gotoh and a lot less than a BAII. If I was after something more modern all together then none of the choices would be in my lineup. The schaller will do everything but I wouldnt want the ashtrays on just to hide it as I like to play everywhere and palm mute etc.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='825523' date='May 2 2010, 01:19 PM']I like the Gotoh. When I got my Mexican Jazz I soon got totally pissed off with stock bridge. I play hard and the G string saddle used to flap about like crazy and the thing seemed to be made of the same thing they make baked bean tins out of.

I got the Gotoh over the Badass for the following reasons:
1) It's cheaper
2) It doesn't require any pissing about
3) I prefer the look of it.
4) It does exactly the same thing.

It took me 5 minutes to install and the change in sound was very noticable (lots of debate on this but I'm telling you, it really does give a fuller sound with more sustain).[/quote]

I don't suppose anybody has recorded "before" and "after" clips, eh?

Found the badass a little harder to get hold of (maybe didn't look very hard?) and heard that you had to drill some holes on the bridge too - I'm useless with anything practical!

So I got the Gotoh and it's a great bridge - massive difference from the stock fender bridge.