Why become a member? ×

Ribbon Mics on Bass?

Lifer

I've got my hands on a Sontronic Sigma to rerecord the vocals on my bands tracks, will probably use it to record a slide solo that needs doing as well but was wondering if anyone's used a ribbon mic on a bass rig?

Obviously would be using it a good 6ft away, and it says it can handle high SPLs so I thought I'd try it out. Never used a ribbon mic before so just want to know if it will damage it?

Cheers

nope, you should be fine using it how you've said. provided you're in a good room, it should sound fantastic. if the room is poor (acoustically), then the results might not be as great.

alternatively, if you really like the sound of the room, you could try using it as the S mic and try MS on the cab.

[quote name='crez5150' post='465054' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:30 PM']Not too close..... if it pops..... don't say I didn't warn you....[/quote]

I agree, I wouldn't put it too close, however the sigmas arn't like old Ribbons, they can take a little more abuse (hence why we brought them). However Crez5150 is right, be careful, start at a distance and work in, always a good rule of thumb any way.

Lee

Well the room was too small and was filled with stuff so couldn't get it sounding good with the bass, but did use it to redo all the vocals. Have mixed one tune 'March of the Octopi' which you can hear @ [url="http://www.myspace.com/eightdirtypages"]www.myspace.com/eightdirtypages[/url]

All the other songs on there are old or w.i.p.

Edited by Lifer