Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Mk IV, User Manual?...

Count Bassie

I'm going to give it a brushing or and vacuuming tonight, and get some tight detail shots. I emailed Ashdown, and one of their techs responded offering help and links, so that's great.

@Matt P thanks for the offer on dimensions, I'll be taking you up on that! This may be a minute, but it's nice to find so many good resources once you decide to dig in.

Great encouragement here, thanks all! I'll be back... 😎

• Like 1

as i have now dug the Trace head out of it's hiding place i've decided that it's getting a run out on Monday at band practice, i usually use a Markbass F1 with a Barefaced Midget but this week i'll hook the Trace up to the 6x10 Ampeg cab in the practice room instead, i've never used it with this band so it will be interesting to see the reaction it gets from the band

If you are having a new enclosure made i'd really suggest trying to keep it's weight down, this one in it's original housing with the UV etc weighs in at 20.7kg/ 45lb 10oz.

Matt

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

as i have now dug the Trace head out of it's hiding place i've decided that it's getting a run out on Monday at band practice, i usually use a Markbass F1 with a Barefaced Midget but this week i'll hook the Trace up to the 6x10 Ampeg cab in the practice room instead, i've never used it with this band so it will be interesting to see the reaction it gets from the band

If you are having a new enclosure made i'd really suggest trying to keep it's weight down, this one in it's original housing with the UV etc weighs in at 20.7kg/ 45lb 10oz.

Matt

Yeah it's gonna be heavy, there's a big transformer in there! I'll probably go look for some sanded 1/2" ply and do some miter-type joinery so I can get more glue in there. This will be a fine test for Tite-Bond III. 

I'll be interested to hear how you feel about the Trace head after all that time playing the Markbass...

Edited by Count Bassie

3 hours ago, Count Bassie said:

Yeah it's gonna be heavy, there's a big transformer in there! I'll probably go look for some sanded 1/2" ply and do some miter-type joinery so I can get more glue in there. This will be a fine test for Tite-Bond III. 

I'll be interested to hear how you feel about the Trace head after all that time playing the Markbass...

the enclosure on my head seems to be 18mm plywood so 1/2" should give a nice weight reduction from that, i have peeked inside and the size of all the components is considerable!

this head was originally the "house" amp at my church, we went over to IEM's a couple of years ago (much to my dismay) and as i had paid for all the servicing etc for the amp over the last 15 or so years it was given to me. I'm fairly well acquainted with the sound, the only reason it doesn't get much use is because i have a bad back and the F1 is considerably easier to move around!

Matt

• Like 1

The early 80’s TE stuff was built to survive real gigging, and Soundwave (Romford) built PA systems before moving on to bass gear. My local tech, who normally works on studio equipment and classic valve amps describes them as “squalid state”.  But even he grudgingly acknowledged the build quality and was impressed by the transformer DI. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BassBod said:

The early 80’s TE stuff was built to survive real gigging, and Soundwave (Romford) built PA systems before moving on to bass gear. My local tech, who normally works on studio equipment and classic valve amps describes them as “squalid state”.  But even he grudgingly acknowledged the build quality and was impressed by the transformer DI. 

What did he *not* like? Just curiosity.

30 minutes ago, Count Bassie said:

What did he *not* like? Just curiosity.

Anything that wasn’t pure valve and 1950’s tech.  He gets very frustrated repairing and sourcing parts for 70’s and 80’s equipment..even the high end stuff.  He is an excellent tech, but knows what he likes. 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 13:05, BassBod said:

Anything that wasn’t pure valve and 1950’s tech.  He gets very frustrated repairing and sourcing parts for 70’s and 80’s equipment..even the high end stuff.  He is an excellent tech, but knows what he likes. 

Hm, ok. There's just so much 70-90s tech around here that that seems very 'niche'. But yes, you like what you like, fair enough. 

6 hours ago, Count Bassie said:

Hey, @Matt P, if it were handy, could I ask you for the dimensions of your MK IV enclosure? I have to build one before my tech will have it in his bench, just so it's ready to load when he's done with it. 

I'm not in a hurry, in fact I've got too many heads... But, you know. This happens...

certainly, I will agt it measured and make some rough sketches for you. I should have some time one evening this week.

do you need to see any of the internal structure of the case?

Matt

EDIT - due to Illness of our lead singer/guitarist there was no band practice lat night, the next one is 2 weeks away!

Edited by Matt P
  • Like 1

As promised here are some dimension (can you tell I'm an engineer and once worked as a draughtsman 😁

All dimensions are in mm and are inside with the exception of the length which is outside. 

Matt 

DSC_0989.JPG

• Like 2

That's great! Thank you, yes that's very helpful.

If you happened to have details about the inside structure that might help make sure I don't put bracing where something else should go... Call me an over thinker.

I appreciate this man, thanks again. Rounds are on me if we find ourselves in a pub one day!

Edited by Count Bassie

the front mounts to a pair of wooden sections with captive/tee nuts for the front panel to bolt to, with the uv tube housing held in by a pair of very long screws from the front, the rear section is fixed with 3 bolts through the top and 3 small screws through the small flange on the rear panel. that's about it, there isnt anything else in there at all.

DSC_0990.jpg

DSC_0991.jpg

DSC_0992.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Count Bassie said:

I wonder why the electric guts are mounted upside down?... Just musing...

It does seem odd…my contemporary AH150 has a similar rear power section, but I thought it was all sitting “upright” in its metal case…now I’m not so sure🤔.  What is really important is the white reflective strip at the top..without that the UV light would not have such an impact 😎

12 hours ago, BassBod said:

It does seem odd…my contemporary AH150 has a similar rear power section, but I thought it was all sitting “upright” in its metal case…now I’m not so sure🤔.  What is really important is the white reflective strip at the top..without that the UV light would not have such an impact 😎

I didn't know about that white reflective strip... But I guess that's in the top photo @Matt Psent. I'll have to find something similar, unless BAS or someone has it. Thanks for mentioning that.

23 minutes ago, Count Bassie said:

I didn't know about that white reflective strip... But I guess that's in the top photo @Matt Psent. I'll have to find something similar, unless BAS or someone has it. Thanks for mentioning that.

I hadn't actually noticed that either until @BassBod mentioned it!

I don't have the right UV tube at the moment, it's actually one designed for a reptile tank, but it was very cheap and confirmed that it was the tube that was broken when i got it, i'll be ordering a proper blacklight UV tube at some point.

Matt

16 hours ago, Matt P said:

I hadn't actually noticed that either until @BassBod mentioned it!

I don't have the right UV tube at the moment, it's actually one designed for a reptile tank, but it was very cheap and confirmed that it was the tube that was broken when i got it, i'll be ordering a proper blacklight UV tube at some point.

Matt

Well then, thank you @BassBod!

Shopping for plywood soon as I can get to it.

I might come along here and there with another question, remark, etc. And, well, here's one: this little white blocky part has "240v" printed on it along with other info I can't discern the meaning of. Is this a mod, or does it mean it uses a 240v power supply?...1684166197_IMG_20221013_211308205_HDR2.thumb.jpg.6d4d5b49a963b7f7bb98b7973e315c05.jpg

That's the UV light case there in the bottom of the photo... It's not in a box yet...

Edited by Count Bassie

I think @Downunderwonderis right, that looks ,like the igniter for the UV tube, my amp has a different one (the white cylinder in the middle picture ) if you can find one of the bases like mine has then you should eaily be able to substitute in a 110/120V equivalent. something like this would do the trick.

i would follow the wiring and see where it leads, you should be able to work out if the leads go to the mains input or a tap from a transformer etc.

Is this a USA market amp or has someone imported it from the UK? 

Matt

7 hours ago, Matt P said:

I think @Downunderwonderis right, that looks ,like the igniter for the UV tube, my amp has a different one (the white cylinder in the middle picture ) if you can find one of the bases like mine has then you should eaily be able to substitute in a 110/120V equivalent. something like this would do the trick.

i would follow the wiring and see where it leads, you should be able to work out if the leads go to the mains input or a tap from a transformer etc.

Is this a USA market amp or has someone imported it from the UK? 

Matt

Your white igniter thing looks about like mine. 

I'll have to ask the guy I got it from whether it was marketed here or in the UK. The 240v marking has me believing it's an import.

Anyway ok, I guess that's what it is! 

Soon as I get the box built I'll get it to the bench. My tech'll be onto it. 

Thanks you guys!

• 4 months later...
On 20/10/2022 at 17:28, Count Bassie said:

I wonder why the electric guts are mounted upside down?... Just musing...

Allows the controls on the front of the chassis to be at the top of the cabinet's front panel for easy access. Think of a Fender tube amp compared to say a Marshall.

Edited by BassmanPaul