Why become a member? ×

The difference a string gauge makes

Guest BassAdder27

Thinner gauge strings, all things being equal (that is same type, materials and construction method), will produce a richer tone with more harmonic overtone content, whereas thicker gauge strings in comparison will produce a beefier/fatter tone with stronger fundamentals and less harmonic content. 

I personally prefer relatively thin gauge strings, both tone and feel wise, that is a set of gauge .095 - .075 - .055 - .040 balanced tension nickle plated roundwound hex steel core strings for regular E1 standard tuning, actually both for regular 34" scale basses and for short scale 30" scale basses, as the shorter vibrating length of the strings on a shorter scale instrument will make the strings relatively stiffer/less flexible, to some degree compensating for the lower tension, compared to the longer vibrating length of the strings on a longer scaled instrument.

Though of course it is possible to compensate for gauge to some degree by adjusting your playing and EQ accordingly.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 21/07/2022 at 19:29, BassAdder27 said:

Putting 50-105 on my Ray34 has transformed the bass to a more balanced sound across all four strings 

No more weak G/ D strings 

Thanks to Lozz for the suggestion 

I finally got round to putting these on my Stingray and to me they are a much better balance across the set.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid thought time - apologies in advance!

The thread has been responding to tone but what about the effect of gauge on action action?  I always find I can set the action lower when using flats as opposed to rounds.....is that generally because of the extra tension, meaning less vibration?

Then, would it follow that using an identical brands 105s compared to 90s, you can set the action lower due to the extra heft and possibly increased tension, meaning less vibration?  I appreciate there would need to be nut/neck/saddle tweaks to get the best possible results but do wonder if anyone has noticed the ability to go to a lower action with heavier strings?

As I said in the opening.....stupid thought time!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

The thread has been responding to tone but what about the effect of gauge on action action?  I always find I can set the action lower when using flats as opposed to rounds.....is that generally because of the extra tension, meaning less vibration?

Then, would it follow that using an identical brands 105s compared to 90s, you can set the action lower due to the extra heft and possibly increased tension, meaning less vibration?  I appreciate there would need to be nut/neck/saddle tweaks to get the best possible results but do wonder if anyone has noticed the ability to go to a lower action with heavier strings?

One of the reasons why I use rounds is affect:  I feel like I get better trampoline response for slap with rounds over flats

7 hours ago, MungoBass said:

I have definitely noticed that the higher the tension the lower the action I can get.

Would that be the case ona bass with absolutely 100% perfect fretwork, nut etc... ? I don't know.

I am also under the unpression that a chunkier string helps reduce buzz regardless of tension, but because this is all based on comparing different types of strings and not different gauges of the same, I am not sure 100% yet.

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found that changing to elixirs gave me a more all round even tone that seems to last rather than starting off bright and dulling off over time. 
I use 100-45’s on thin neck basses and 105-45’s on thicker neck basses. There is a slight difference in feel but not a massive difference in tone.

They have been a lot harder to find in certain gauges over the past couple of years and I was informed that this was due to the coating company rather than distribution.