Why become a member? ×

Choosing First Bass

RogerR5

14 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

And muting on 5 strings is much harder.

No it's not, especially if you start with a 5 and learn correctly. Don't get stuck using something like the pickup as a thumbrest and simply float it to damp.

As for slapping with narrower spacing, I have no issues with it.

Both of these things might be an issue with a 4 player, but not someone starting with a 5.

OP: start with a 5, it's far more versatile as there's less shifting involved. And get an Ibanez SR 5 string. The higher numbers get better finishes and someother options like better pickups, but they're all solid. I look like using my SR206 for a gig in a week or so, even though it's the bottom of the line (price, not quality wise) and I have other much more expensive options. The real sweet spot are the SR rand with the Power span pickups, like the 305, 375 and 405, but any SR will be good.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycloud said:

No it's not, especially if you start with a 5 and learn correctly. Don't get stuck using something like the pickup as a thumbrest and simply float it to damp.

As for slapping with narrower spacing, I have no issues with it.

Both of these things might be an issue with a 4 player, but not someone starting with a 5.

OP: start with a 5, it's far more versatile as there's less shifting involved. And get an Ibanez SR 5 string. The higher numbers get better finishes and someother options like better pickups, but they're all solid. I look like using my SR206 for a gig in a week or so, even though it's the bottom of the line (price, not quality wise) and I have other much more expensive options. The real sweet spot are the SR rand with the Power span pickups, like the 305, 375 and 405, but any SR will be good.

I started playing with a cheap P bass (I was playing 80s metal, funny enough) but never tried slapping. Only few months later I switched to an Ibanez Ergodyne so arguably that's the bass where I "learned" how to play. A few of years down the line I decided to learn slapping and for that I automatocally found a wider string spacing more comfortable. In my case it was not even getting my index in between strings. I just preferred the more open position with the right hand. That's one of the reasons why I switched to a Cort GB74. Then I got tendonitis, ended up never learning how to slap but that's another story..

I appreciate however that all this is totally subjective and someone learning on tight string spacing would be ok with it.

As for the muting, I agree it is not a massive problem but even with the floating thumb I find it a bit more involved on 5 than on 4. I find 5 less forgiving on slight changes in hand position. Probably because I am not very good. I was recently watching an interview to Marcus Miller (I believe by Thomann) in which he said muting with 5 is much harder. He seemed to mean it is harder for him, not for the beginner. He said when he uses 5-string he has to mute the B with the left hand thumb. I am no expert but I suspect that's because he's a slapper and when you slap you cannot use the floating thumb

On 04/07/2022 at 15:57, RogerR5 said:

That's why I was looking at the SCHECTER MODEL-T SESSION BASS because it has a J pickup as well, so I assume it's more versatile.

One of those has turned up for sale if you are still interested in it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2022 at 16:08, Paolo85 said:

I am no expert but I suspect that's because he's a slapper and when you slap you cannot use the floating thumb

I'm not a slapper either, but when I need to, I use the 4 as my hands aren't as big as MM's and LH thumb damping the B won't work for me.

I don't recall any 80's Metal bass players that used a 5 string.

Modern Metal sure, but back then it was all 4 string basses.

I wouldn't rule out a 4 string short scale bass either, sure no 80's Metal bassists played short scale either, but if it turns out a short scale feels more comfortable for you to play, then why make it harder than it need to be, lots of great short scale offerings on the market today that are exactly as great as any regular 34" scale basses.

If you insist on a 5 string bass, then for instance try out the 30"-32" short-multi scale faned frets Ibanez EHB1005SMS.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash