Why become a member? ×

62 RI Jazz Info please??

bubinga5

Hey People..

I have recently aquired a CIJ 62 Jazz..Its a great bass but the tuning key are very wobbly, and go out of tune very easily..
Is there any way i can stiffen them up, i can literally spin them around...I know there are small plastic washers in some tuning keys..Could these have worn??

If i cant fix these i would like to replace them..but at £80 squids a pop,they aint cheap..
Where is the best place to get the 62 keys as i know they are a slightly different shape to the later tuning keys..(more rounded)

Also did the 62 Jazz require you to take the neck off to adjust the action..It a real pain to have to do this!!!

Thanks

It depends where they are wobbly it could be the washers,have you tried tighening all the screws? If the screws are loose in the wood,just take them out,fill with plastic wood and redrill. this will mean they now dont move around in there holes.

Well there are 5 screws in all..4 holdin down the bass of the key to the wood, and one holding the cog to the body of the key..These are all tight...

Its the tuning peg that wobbles inside the shaft....this should surely be fairly tight and smooth with no play!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='463422' date='Apr 15 2009, 09:42 PM']Also did the 62 Jazz require you to take the neck off to adjust the action..It a real pain to have to do this!!![/quote]

Yup.
It's not so bad.
Either get a luthier to do it or try it the fast(ish) way:

Slacken your strings off but leave them on the tuners; undo the neck plate screws so they disengage with the neck (but stay in the body); "crank" the neck out of the pocket so the truss rod adjuster is accessible, tweak and then uncrank it and tighten the neck plate screws and the strings ..
Repeat 'til teh truss rod adjustment is correct.
Takes about 5 minutes per tweak ...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='463422' date='Apr 15 2009, 09:42 PM']Hey People..

I have recently aquired a CIJ 62 Jazz..Its a great bass but the tuning key are very wobbly, and go out of tune very easily..
Is there any way i can stiffen them up, i can literally spin them around...I know there are small plastic washers in some tuning keys..Could these have worn??

If i cant fix these i would like to replace them..but at £80 squids a pop,they aint cheap..
Where is the best place to get the 62 keys as i know they are a slightly different shape to the later tuning keys..(more rounded)

Also did the 62 Jazz require you to take the neck off to adjust the action..It a real pain to have to do this!!!

Thanks[/quote]Welcome to my world :) , the neck adjustment is a bitch but worth the effort.
Wobbley tuners, I only have this on my G string, live with it, or replace.

Fortunately mine came correctly set - :)
Do you mean the tuners wobble perpendicular to the headstock (in their sockets) or that hey move along the line of the headxstock?
If the former, OldGit mentioned a fix with slices of coke can?

Btw - I put copper shielding tape in mine and its very quiet

[quote name='Geek99' post='463609' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:36 AM']Fortunately mine came correctly set - :)
Do you mean the tuners wobble perpendicular to the headstock (in their sockets) or that hey move along the line of the headxstock?
If the former, OldGit mentioned a fix with slices of coke can?

Btw - I put copper shielding tape in mine and its very quiet[/quote]

Hi Geek, I practiced the neck crank technique on your one :rolleyes:

The slivers of coke can thing is to stabilise the string posts in the holes in the headstock if the holes are too big.

I think the OP is talking about about the winder key shafts feeling loose.

A bass that goes out of tune all the time is really anoying so I'd bite the bullet and change the whole lot.

Bass Guitar Parts Direct sells period correct gunuine Fender reverse tuners for £65 a set
Ebay item 250370374767