Why become a member? ×

Neck info on Stentor 1950 please

Paddy Morris

2 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I have a Stentor Student Bass - is that a 1950? It also appears to have a D neck, unless I'm doing it wrong.

If you are Pete, then I am too!

I tried the Conservatoire and the 1950 and they both definitely are different. The Conservatoire is Eb and the 1950 is D. 

I was blissfully ignorant that there was any difference at all in DB necks until I researched in more detail after Paddy’s post. I miss those days of innocence 😂

• Like 1

Sounds like they come in both necks.

My 1950 was definitely an Eb, because when I got my new Eastman I realized it was a D, which feels a lot more natural to play TBH, but maybe if you're more of a jazzer an Eb makes more sense? Either way I doubt it would take long to mentally adjust to a different neck. I can see how switching between the two regularly though would be a pain. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, petebassist said:

Sounds like they come in both necks.

My 1950 was definitely an Eb, because when I got my new Eastman I realized it was a D, which feels a lot more natural to play TBH, but maybe if you're more of a jazzer an Eb makes more sense? Either way I doubt it would take long to mentally adjust to a different neck. I can see how switching between the two regularly though would be a pain. 

Same here. I got an Eastman for jazz and swing.  It's a lovely, warm instrument and Neil Heppleston set it up with a lovely action for me.  But the difference in the string length between the 2 basses means my intonation is screwed when I switch between them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddy Morris said:

Same here. I got an Eastman for jazz and swing.  It's a lovely, warm instrument and Neil Heppleston set it up with a lovely action for me.  But the difference in the string length between the 2 basses means my intonation is screwed when I switch between them.

I can see that being problematic. I'm keeping the Conservatoire and selling the 1950 so at least I won't have that problem 😂

• Like 1