Why become a member? ×

My bass sound

larrikin

If you're trying to get his sound you've got a few problems here, the least of which is buying the same gear.

1. First off, on anything you hear you're listening to a desk and/or PA plus any outboard they may be using. You've no idea what settings they're using (and likely the band won't either as the sound will be very different onstage).

2. Same problem for stuff in the studio, with the added fact that they may be using totally different gear. Everyone knows Flea uses a Stingray - only he used a Wal for Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

3. You're not Jared. :) Everyone has a different playing style which as I suggested a while back has a big effect on tone. If the keyboard player (first and foremost a bassist) in my band pickups up my bass at a rehearsal it sound very different in his hands.

My advice would be to forget trying to copy his gear, settings, etc. and start trying out alternative stuff that sounds good in [i]your[/i] hands.

I see what you're saying Musky - but i just like the sound he has, i don't like clean sounds from a bass...

but yeah, i guess he has the pa, i know what settings he has on his ampeg, but not on his effect pedals, so i'll just have to try and work something out myself...

[quote name='larrikin' post='485156' date='May 11 2009, 04:20 PM']I got the 4x10 hlf cab recently, and i tried to copy the sound, even set my the amp to the same settings he has! but it still didn't sound like that sex on fire video i put up.

i found out that these are all the pedals and effects he uses, so it must be something in here, right??

# Ampeg SVT Classic Head and 8x10" SVT Cabinets[/quote]

Buying gear to get someone's sound is sadly rarely effective. Note that he's using a U5 DI so he's running a clean DI to the board as well as micing the amp, so you're never going to match that sound with a bass rig on its own. Furthermore he's using the SVT810 cabs whilst you're using a 410HLF which sounds totally different - the 810s are tight in the lows, plenty of mids, decent top, whilst the 410HLF has huge bottom, very little upper midrange and then a tweeter for the highest highs. If you EQ the same as him your rig will sound totally different. Try cutting the lows, boosting the high mids and cutting the high treble.

Raise your pickups up high, lower your action just enough to get some buzz and rattle when you dig in, and use dirty old strings.

If you don't like clean sounds from a bass then work on playing your bass until it sounds dirty and angry even before you plug it in - it is possible!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='485873' date='May 12 2009, 01:14 PM']Buying gear to get someone's sound is sadly rarely effective. Note that he's using a U5 DI so he's running a clean DI to the board as well as micing the amp, so you're never going to match that sound with a bass rig on its own. Furthermore he's using the SVT810 cabs whilst you're using a 410HLF which sounds totally different - the 810s are tight in the lows, plenty of mids, decent top, whilst the 410HLF has huge bottom, very little upper midrange and then a tweeter for the highest highs. If you EQ the same as him your rig will sound totally different. Try cutting the lows, boosting the high mids and cutting the high treble.

Raise your pickups up high, lower your action just enough to get some buzz and rattle when you dig in, and use dirty old strings.

If you don't like clean sounds from a bass then work on playing your bass until it sounds dirty and angry even before you plug it in - it is possible!

Alex[/quote]

Thanks, what is a U5 DI anyway? see, all of this stuff is way above me, but i just like his sound, so i bought some of the same gear.. i thought the 410 was just the same as the 810 but smaller, and obviously quieter!

will anything change if i have a play about with the tweeter?

the effect pedals i have are; russian big muff, mxr micro amp and a line 6 delay modeler.