Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My jazz hunt is finally over...

OutToPlayJazz

Hi Rich,
Jazz looks a beaut, really like maple boards. I picked up an 04 S1 jazz on eBay for under £400 a couple of years back (including the SKB hard case) and it rapidly became my main gigging bass. Put a badass III on it (didn't make a vast diff in sound with the thru body stringing) but that's all I've done with it, played great with no further set up. As BBC said engaging that S1 switch really gives it some balls.

Lovely looking bass. Recently bought an american standard P bass, black with the maple board, which sounds great. I think that being strung through the body has made a positive difference to the sound. They had a sunburst jazz at the same time but I have a nice mexican sunburst jazz so went for the P instead. I agree with the pricing sitiuation, it`s getting out of hand.

Jez

I played THE colour I was after yesterday in Leeds.

I think it was Music Ground. Small shop, lots of Hiwatts.

White, tort plate, maple neck.

Awesome neck...awesome feel. Felt expensive. Looked amazing. Put most pre-08 Fenders to shame!

Anyway, they had it prices for FULL retail, then tried the trick of...'oh, on offer, £999'. I walked out, I know for a fact that even normal walk in stores will try and match online. £999 is £100 - £160 more expensive than most stores.

Nice bass though. Lovely neck! Shame they put it through a cheap Ashdown combo.....didnt do it justice.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='466696' date='Apr 19 2009, 01:00 PM']That happens in a lot of places - You get to play a hardly inexpensive bass through 99p worth of amplifier. Doesn't do the bass justice at all!

So you're going for the white/maple one then, MM20?[/quote]

I believe so. I was after a black body with maple neck, but after seeing just how pretty the white/tort plate and maple looks, my mind was changed!

It still sang even through a cheap amp. The bridge pickup on its own....brilliant!

From the Lakland jazzes I've played, the Lakland seems a little lighter and feels slightly less substantial. Not to say that they're of lesser quality, though. They seem to nail the classic jazz sound very well. Very 60's sounding and perhaps a little warmer than the Fender which is very bright sounding. The string spacing on the JO4 version I played most recently was much narrower than the standard 19mm on a Fender. Apart from that, it's all down to personal preference, I think.

Any Lakland experts out there who can give us some more ideas?