Why become a member? ×

Neural Quad Cortex

redd

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, oo.viper.oo said:

Hi guys, did anyone compare the built-in Microtubes models with Microtubes captures? Which sounds better?

That's going to depend on how good the captures are, I've heard some brilliant captures from some users and some bloody awful ones that don't sound anything like the unit they pretend to be, the great thing is that the user captures are offered free of charge, so you can just keep looking, or even borrow a Mircrotubes and try to make your own.

That said the Neural version is pretty good.

Is there a limit of how many captures you can use simultaneously? I have a MOD Dwarf and managed to get some pretty decent AIDA-X captures of my Capo and some EAE pedals but you’re pretty much restricted to 2 amp/pedal captures before the CPU starts maxing out.

I don’t have a QC but it’s one of those things that’s pretty tempting to replace my dedicated pedals one day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Is there a limit of how many captures you can use simultaneously? I have a MOD Dwarf and managed to get some pretty decent AIDA-X captures of my Capo and some EAE pedals but you’re pretty much restricted to 2 amp/pedal captures before the CPU starts maxing out.

I don’t have a QC but it’s one of those things that’s pretty tempting to replace my dedicated pedals one day. 

Not really, obviously there's a technical processing limit, but I've run multiple capture on 4 independent channels and not seen it slow down or glitch.

I think you'd run out of need before it ran out of grunt.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Not really, obviously there's a technical processing limit, but I've run multiple capture on 4 independent channels and not seen it slow down or glitch.

I think you'd run out of need before it ran out of grunt.

Super useful to know, I’ve tried googling it but found nothing. I can’t imagine using more than a couple at any given time though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrDinsdale said:

Super useful to know, I’ve tried googling it but found nothing. I can’t imagine using more than a couple at any given time though!

I have 3 or 4 in my baseline rigs, a pre-amp, an amp and and amp/cab combo, the pre-amp and amp are my captures.

It'll be really interesting if they get to the point of being able to capture time-domain effects like chorus etc.

• Like 3

Update, took the QC to it's first session. I was using my hartke rig as it was a live situation.

Was really impressed how natural it sounded plugged directly into the LH1000. I've in the past always found putting preamps into the front of amps odd sounding, like super imposing one sound on top of another. Really quick to edit levels to balance things out and really enjoyed the tuner... which is probably the nerdiest thing I've ever said.

Annoyingly towards the end of the session a videographer accidentally stood on the power input jack, luckily a quick kick from me in the back of his ankle and he moved his foot. I thought he had destroyed the input jack but thankfully it seems to still be working on powering up. There is a little wiggle room witht the power connected , is this normal on other peoples QC's?

I've looked at my other pedals and they seem to also wiggle a bit when you move the power input jack so I'm thinking this is normal! Just a worry when you've spent a whole posh of cash on something like this! Firmly putting it on a pedal board from now on! 

• Like 1

I worried about the power supply as well. I stood on mine as well!  I haven't noticed any wiggle in mine, just went and checked and it's in there pretty tight. Do you get any interference with the power supply? I ended up sticking it on a pedal board with the CIOKS power supply. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, redd said:

I worried about the power supply as well. I stood on mine as well!  I haven't noticed any wiggle in mine, just went and checked and it's in there pretty tight. Do you get any interference with the power supply? I ended up sticking it on a pedal board with the CIOKS power supply. 

I've tried the supply into a few other pedals and the wiggle is the same! The power jack goes into the QC and does the click in so I think its fine. The unit hasn't powered down yet anyway!

It's one of those things you don't think about until after it happens! Worse comes to worse im sure its repairable.

Went down a rabbit hole looking for a replacement power supply. The Cioks is nice but expensive and I only need power for the QC. Considering a Globtek power supply l.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2023 at 23:08, attackbass said:

Annoyingly towards the end of the session a videographer accidentally stood on the power input jack, luckily a quick kick from me in the back of his ankle and he moved his foot. I thought he had destroyed the input jack but thankfully it seems to still be working on powering up. There is a little wiggle room witht the power connected , is this normal on other peoples QC's?

Exact same thing happened to the guitarist in my old band. Someone stood on the power jack, the unit still worked, but he was always worried about the inside having been damaged.

• 3 weeks later...

Still going strong! 

Really enjoying the GK 800 at the moment and one of the V4 Ampeg captures. Found the GK800 broke up nicely and running a compressor before icontrolled the low end so the low b didn't break up more than the other strings.

What I find strange (or maybe it's from listening on headphones at the moment) is that the Ampeg captures seem really, really bright. I downloaded some of the neural dsp presets with the aguilar captures and found those were all hyped with additional eq and compressors pushing the captures to break up. Sounds cool but again find them really, really bright. 

That being said I listened back to a gig that was recorded and the bass didn't sound bright at all, infact it sounded warm but my memory of the bass in my in ears was that it was bright!

I'm looking forward to capturing my hartke rig in the new year as that is my favourite set up, live in hope they add a Hartke cab to the cabs as I find the the virtual mic positioning and options really useful in shaping the sound.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, attackbass said:

Still going strong! 

Really enjoying the GK 800 at the moment and one of the V4 Ampeg captures. Found the GK800 broke up nicely and running a compressor before icontrolled the low end so the low b didn't break up more than the other strings.

What I find strange (or maybe it's from listening on headphones at the moment) is that the Ampeg captures seem really, really bright. I downloaded some of the neural dsp presets with the aguilar captures and found those were all hyped with additional eq and compressors pushing the captures to break up. Sounds cool but again find them really, really bright. 

That being said I listened back to a gig that was recorded and the bass didn't sound bright at all, infact it sounded warm but my memory of the bass in my in ears was that it was bright!

I'm looking forward to capturing my hartke rig in the new year as that is my favourite set up, live in hope they add a Hartke cab to the cabs as I find the the virtual mic positioning and options really useful in shaping the sound.

I've tried so hard to like the GK model, but it just doesn't work for me. I think I'll just have to admit I don't like the sound of GK amps! I'm glad to know other people can make it work.

RE: the brightness of the Ampeg captures - 100% agree, it sounds to me really high in the upper registers. That said, when I've put them in the mix they sound fantastic; I ran a gig a few weeks back and had all the bands bassists going into the QC (I gave them the option to go DI from my TC rig, but I think they all wanted to have a play with the QC). With a patch consisting of a bit of compression and one of the Ampeg captures, I actually ended up boosting the high mids even more for some of the heavier numbers; it sounded absolutely monstrous! I even had a couple of people come up and ask me what the bass players were using because it sounded amazing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine just after Christmas.

It's a "Limited Edition" in black sparkle with gold footswitches, though I would have been happy with the classy, grey version as it was just the 3 that were in stock and they were all SE.

Just the same price as the "normal" QC though :party:

Looking forward to getting tore in after tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2pods said:

It's a "Limited Edition" in black sparkle with gold footswitches, though I would have been happy with the classy, grey version as it was just the 3 that were in stock and they were all SE.

Sounds funky, bit like that SR5 with the carbon neck that was on the Marketplace for a while...

Post a pic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2pods said:

These Special Editions are gorgeous, congrats on picking one up!

• Like 1

I still lust after a stormtrooper white HX Stomp. 

Just on looks alone

I don't think it's black sparkle at all.

It just looks like black to me.

I can't get a good pic of it, so here's a stock one.

QCBlackNGold.thumb.png.c1d49fc17fe3acba5d54060129692ee9.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 2pods said:

Thinking about capturing my recently acquired Trace Elliot GP12SMX rack preamp.

Do I just treat this as a pedal capture ?

i.e. no need for cab or mic

Correct, assuming you don't want to capture the sound of the cab/mic too 

• Like 2