Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello!!

MattPunk

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

Advice for starting from scratch.

As someone who's still not that good here's some of my experience. Hopefully it helps, and if not then just ignore it and enjoy yourself 😎

1) Head over to Studybass.com and start at the very beginning with how to hold the bass and avoid injury! His lessons are really good for beginners, teaching the basics of technique and music theory properly and well, and they're free. Best guide to bass setup too. Scotts Bass Lessons are marmite, the paid courses are IMHO absolutely worth the money, but others hate him

2) Practice at least a bit every day. This is really important, because you have to get muscle memory and that takes time. And you can fall back really quickly which can be disheartening. Scales and simple arpeggios, nice and slow, are always good practice whatever stage you're at.*

3) Play stuff you like as well as stuff to help you improve. I play utterly crap versions of Muse and Cream riffs, but only for me.

4) As soon as possible, and if at all possible, play with other people. Don't wait to get good, you get good faster playing with others as you simply have to. If your dad and girlfriend are both musicians then sit in with them. 

5) Persevere, and remember that everyone started at zero. Most people overestimate what they can learn in a week, but underestimate what they can achieve in a year if they actually do practice a bit every day.

6) Personal bass lessons are incredibly helpful, and a good teacher is worth the money.  But if you can't afford it, or don't find a good one you  then the online options above are good, as are others.

* Full disclosure: I don't manage to practice every day any more due to a change in job. But I did when I was just starting, and now those weeks when I do make the effort, I really notice the difference 👍