Why become a member? ×

See *The BLockheads* for free in Wakefield this Friday

Funkmaster

The Blockheads play the new DNE Venue in Wakefield this coming Friday.

Tickets are advertised at an eye-watering £18 but the owner announced from the stage last Friday that everyone will get in for free.

So if Norman Watt Roy's your thing (a proper bassplayer's bassplayer I think!) it's an opportunity not to be missed!

The venue's worth a look too, close to Wakefield Westgate rail station, it's a great space with good PA and lighting system. Should develop into a great asset for the areas music scene.

Check with the venue if you're travelling far.

[url="http://www.dne-music.com/"]http://www.dne-music.com/[/url]

Dave

Finally an excuse to go back to Wakefield!

Where is this place - Smythe Street? Is it in the old Unity House or something?

Must go attempt to round up old mates...

Just to be absolutely clear: This is The Blockheads, not "The Blackheads" or or "The Smackheads" or some other band pretending to be The Blockheads?

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='461097' date='Apr 13 2009, 11:21 AM']Finally an excuse to go back to Wakefield!

Where is this place - Smythe Street? Is it in the old Unity House or something?

Must go attempt to round up old mates...

Just to be absolutely clear: This is The Blockheads, not "The Blackheads" or or "The Smackheads" or some other band pretending to be The Blockheads?[/quote]

Hi thisnameistaken

Yep it's the Blockheads. Check this... [url="http://www.theblockheads.com/live.php"]http://www.theblockheads.com/live.php[/url]

You're in the right direction with Unity House (now that would be great venue again if it was re-furbed!) DNE is just down the hill from the front entrance of Unity House.

Dave

Edited by Funkmaster

Ok, saw them last night in Basildon. I am not a hard core fan, never have been really, but feared that they wouldn't be worth watching without Ian Dury. How wrong can I have been, they were brilliant. Norman Watt Roy - respect! He's rather good.

[quote name='Paul S' post='463963' date='Apr 16 2009, 02:24 PM']Ok, saw them last night in Basildon. I am not a hard core fan, never have been really, but feared that they wouldn't be worth watching without Ian Dury. How wrong can I have been, they were brilliant. Norman Watt Roy - respect! He's rather good.[/quote]

Great to hear that Paul!

I saw Norman with Wilko Johnson a couple of decades ago (I'd guess) and even through a drunken haze he seemed 'special'!

Looking forward to Friday even more now!

What a gig, Norman was spot on and man, he sweats buckets. I watched the sweat start from the first number, by the end his jacket was soaked through and his trousers down to almost his knees. he needs to try that Lynx stuff!
I'm not convinced he was playing through the TE stack as I could not see any cone movement at all.......?
Other interesting facts: I first saw John Turnbull on guitar with Bell and Arc in Newcastle City Hall in the very early 70's. Last night he was playing a £200 Peavey guitar...just goes to show!

[attachment=23992:090417_223547.jpg]

[attachment=23993:090417_224556.jpg]

Here's a couple of photos from my phone of NWR with his Bass Collection Jazz as described in the new rather glossy (controversial?) BGM!

P.S. Grabbed the setlist at the end, how sad!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='466039' date='Apr 18 2009, 12:24 PM']What a gig, Norman was spot on and man, he sweats buckets. I watched the sweat start from the first number, by the end his jacket was soaked through and his trousers down to almost his knees. he needs to try that Lynx stuff!
I'm not convinced he was playing through the TE stack as I could not see any cone movement at all.......?
Other interesting facts: I first saw John Turnbull on guitar with Bell and Arc in Newcastle City Hall in the very early 70's. Last night he was playing a £200 Peavey guitar...just goes to show!

[attachment=23992:090417_223547.jpg]

[attachment=23993:090417_224556.jpg]

Here's a couple of photos from my phone of NWR with his Bass Collection Jazz as described in the new rather glossy (controversial?) BGM!

P.S. Grabbed the setlist at the end, how sad![/quote]

Great gig wasn't it!

I just kept thinking I hope I'm still playing with that level of committment and enthusiam (and half the ability would do too!) when I'm Norman's age - which for me is possibly not too far away!

Glad you made it Yorks5stringer - and good to say hi on the way in too.

Anyone else get there?

David