Why become a member? ×

Kent Armstrong MM pickups -thoughts/alternatives?

TobyC

Hiya 'chatters

I have recently picked up a steal of a deal on a Sterling Ray4 HH (the dual humbucker) and plan to mod it up as a project. The first step is sourcing better pickups than the stock ones which are known to be rubbish. As the bass has the 5 way switch I cannot use some of the pickups that are only 2 wire, but instead need 4 wire pickups. Additionally, I would rather not spend more on the mods than the bass itself, particularly because I have to buy 2! So I'm after good quality pickups that don't break the bank. 

The Kent Armstrongs seem to fit the bill - anyone have any experience with them? 

Cheers

Toby

Edited by TobyC
clarification

Got a Second Hand PJ Vintage set of Kent Armstrongs from a fellow Basschatter, so great value at that price...

Other names are Wilkinson and Warman, but not sure if these are re-badged Chinese imports... Specs seem to compare with pups listed on the bay and Ali Express from what i can see...

Edited by PaulThePlug

I can recommend a Warman UK  MM pickup, its a 4 wire like you need.  I replaced a Vintage MM copy bass with this Warman.  It was way better, despite the bargain price.

In fact its probably the price why people dont give them a 2nd look.

https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/product/mm4-4-string-bass-humbucker-13-09kohm-4-wire-overwound/