Why become a member? ×

Cab choice for Bugera BV1001M Veyron Mosfet Head

Pegdrums

Hi all. Done loads of reading on these heads and as a noob putting his first giggable rig together they are a contender.

Short version:

I have 2 Eden EX 112 8 ohms 300 w cabs.

1) I understand this head to be around 500 - 800 w RMS  depending on source. Is that @ 8ohms or @ 4 ohms?

2) Could I use this with a single 300 w cab? Obviously I wouldn't have it cranked, but would it it be ok at low- mid volume?

3) Relates to long version below........Hold on as best I can and scrimp and save for the Ashdown or go for the Bugera? I really liked the Ashdown and it paired well with the cabs.

Long version:

I originally bought an Ashdown RM 500 (evo i) head but returned it due to a faulty fan. Dave Green even heard it when I was on the phone to him and said it shouldn't sound remotely so loud. Offered to swap it out for free but postage from Ireland was 30 bills. Sent it back to retailer and got full refund.

Plan is/ was to combine refund + postage and save a bit longer for the evo ii version of same head.

BUT

Other grown up life nonsense things are threatening to limit this plan so Im looking at a cheaper head, hence the Bugera.

Thanks

That would be the full power at 4ohms, so with your two 8ohm cabs connected the amp will be able to deliver its full power. But, and a big but, in order to blow your cabs you`ll either need to be pushing a ridiculous amount of low-end through them or have the amp so loud that your ears will go way before the cabs do.

Personally I`m not in favour of having amps that are rated higher than the cabs, but that`s more to protect my gear from my own uselessness, as in reality just using your ears is the way to protect your gear (and ears).

But overall I`d say as you really liked the Ashdown I think the best option is to wait until you`re able to get another. They are great amps. 

8 hours ago, Pegdrums said:

I originally bought an Ashdown RM 500 (evo i) head but returned it due to a faulty fan. Dave Green even heard it when I was on the phone to him and said it shouldn't sound remotely so loud. Offered to swap it out for free but postage from Ireland was 30 bills. Sent it back to retailer and got full refund.

That is extraordinary! @Ashdown Engineeringoffering to repair an amp that old for free! Your local repair shop would charge you more than 30 to open it up and look at it. 

I'd definitely factor the after sales Ashdown offer into the mix. I've no real criticism of the Bugera but it's a totally different beast. Very clean sounding, cheap as chips and no support or reparability past the guarantee period.