Why become a member? ×

Click Tracks.....

SPHDS

28 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

So in terms of the practicalities... assuming the drummer is playing to a click, they'll be wearing headphones/earpieces to hear it (unless the click is put through a monitor?) so how will they hear the rest of the band?

Really depends on what works best for the drummer. In reality no headphones will completely shut out the sound of the rest of the band at typical band volumes, and often the spill through is enough for them to be able to tell where they are in the song. The other thing to bear in mind is that for most bands using a click track the songs are of a pre-defined structure and length, and therefore simply playing the correct parts will be all that is required. The rest of the band follow the drummer anyway.

On 18/03/2022 at 14:00, MacDaddy said:

So in terms of the practicalities... assuming the drummer is playing to a click, they'll be wearing headphones/earpieces to hear it (unless the click is put through a monitor?) so how will they hear the rest of the band?

The click track will be usually either fed to the mixing desk and returned to the drummer in their in ear monitor mix, along with the rest of the band as needed, or the drummer may have a small mixer as part of their monitoring setup which receives the click directly from the playback system along with their mix from the monitor engineer, allowing them to directly control how much click they want to blast their ears with!

• Thanks 1

I’ve always used a click in the studio as I think it’s the best way to get everything tight.

Never used one live but I just started jamming with a new band who are all on IEMs and have some bits on tracks, which includes a click. I haven’t once noticed (apart from breaks where it’s just tracks or maybe one guitar) the click whilst playing and the drummer, who has been doing this in other bands for years, tells me that you’ll only notice the click if you go out of time with it. Which makes sense.