Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown content

JPJ

New amp day here at JPJ towers thanks to our very own ryancowell25. Having used nothing but SWR for the last 15 odd years (save for a brief flirtation with an Aguilar AG500) I decided to try something different as I’m being drawn more towards that lightly overdriven valve sound. I’ve posted before how despite wanting to, I could never get on with the Ashdown ABM range so this was a bit of a leap of faith. So far I’ve only been able to play this through a little TC 2x8 cab at low volume but it sounds mighty and sort of reminds me of someone but I can’t quite put my finger on who? 🤔😉😎

Thanks to Hermes, the amp has obviously had a knock in transit damaging the Subs control knob and thank the gods Ryan opted to ship in the Gator gig bag or who knows how much worse things could have been. Quick order fired off to Ashdown for a set of 5 replacement knobs so she should be looking at her sexiest best for her first public outing next weekend. 

D76D6DC8-14CC-4F16-B4A7-55527C071A4E.jpeg

• Like 7

Wowzers! Just used this in anger for the first time today at rehearsal playing through an Ampeg 6x10. What can I say other than I’m blown away. Pre-shape engaged, EQ flat, passive five string Precision bass and this thing sounds and more importantly feels like a full valve amp. It has that ‘bounce’ and for those who are interested, it has enough heft to demolish walls. Whack on the doom control and it’s instant Geezer Butler. Can’t wait for tomorrows gig now 😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Wowzers! Just used this in anger for the first time today at rehearsal playing through an Ampeg 6x10. What can I say other than I’m blown away. Pre-shape engaged, EQ flat, passive five string Precision bass and this thing sounds and more importantly feels like a full valve amp. It has that ‘bounce’ and for those who are interested, it has enough heft to demolish walls. Whack on the doom control and it’s instant Geezer Butler. Can’t wait for tomorrows gig now 😎

Does it come through the mix well with that pre-shape engaged?

Just now, NAS Bass said:

Does it come through the mix well with that pre-shape engaged?

Yes, it’s a very ‘musical’ eq pre-shape. Sat well between two guitars and acoustic drums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

The ABM600 has that same "bounce" too. 

Looks fantastic 

Regarding the shape feature ( Out position on the ABM ) I am finding that the best EQ for pick playing as it adds a lot of depth to the sound.

What I do though is boost the 340HZ to bring back the low mids and back off slightly the main bass ( 40hz ) so it’s not too flubby when playing the low E string etc 

Its not easy to mimic it with Shape IN ie off and using EQ as I’ve tried and you cannot quite get there. 

It’s like having your own select for pick playing button !