Why become a member? ×

Weird Ricky

This looks normal in every picture apart from the head on one it seems. A weird one, victim to some dodgy 'customizing' or a fake?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-rickenbacker-4001-vintage-bass-case-low-reserve_W0QQitemZ290308214729QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101"]http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-rickenbacker-4001...S:B:SRCH:US:101[/url]

I don't see a problem with the headstock, but I doubt that's the original scratchplate and the bridge doesn't look at all right to me either. While I'm being picky, I'm not sure about those pickups ... they look a bit odd.

Yes, yes, yes, but apart from all that, what have the Ricky's ever done for us?

All kosher apart from the scratchplate & bridge, as far as I can see from those rubbish, blurry little pics. Scratchplate's a home-made "upgrade" and I've seen a few 70s & early 80s Ricks with these brass bridges, they were proper aftermarket replacements & have been discussed on Rickresource a few times - can't remember who made them though.

The pups look OK to me but it's hard to be sure, & I think maybe the camera angle's making the head look a bit odd.

I'm finding the easiest way to spot a real Rick is the inlays - I've never seen a copy with the same dull greyish-looking ones, they're always much brighter & pearly-looking. This is after getting a new Faker project with a very authentic-looking orangey fretboard. :)

[quote]Yes, yes, yes, but apart from all that, what have the Ricky's ever done for us?[/quote]

Neck-through construction.

But apart from that, what [i]have[/i] they ever done for us, eh? Eh?

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='458245' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:07 PM']Neck-through construction.

But apart from that, what [i]have[/i] they ever done for us, eh? Eh?

Jon.[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, they did give us that, that's true.

And Rick-o-Sound outputs.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='458069' date='Apr 9 2009, 08:22 AM']I don't see a problem with the headstock, but I doubt that's the original scratchplate and the bridge doesn't look at all right to me either. While I'm being picky, I'm not sure about those pickups ... they look a bit odd.[/quote]

Yea, those were pretty much the only issues I spotted too.
Yea, I guess if the scratchplate was a replacement and if those are common aftermarket bridges that pretty much explains it.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='458245' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:07 PM']All kosher apart from the scratchplate & bridge, as far as I can see from those rubbish, blurry little pics. Scratchplate's a home-made "upgrade" and I've seen a few 70s & early 80s Ricks with these brass bridges, they were proper aftermarket replacements & have been discussed on Rickresource a few times - can't remember who made them though.[/quote]

Thats exactly the same type of bridge that was on my Ric... exactly the same (except mine had been chromed)