Why become a member? ×

vol pot vs kill switch

Munurmunuh

6 minutes ago, ikay said:

Removing the vol pot from circuit would make the tone slightly brighter with the tone pot two-bobbed.

Thank you, first for the answer and secondly for adopting 'two-bobbed'.

Since the bass has a maple fretboard, Pro Steels, a Model P pickup, and a 0.022 cap, a bit more brightness wouldn't exactly be fighting its character :D

When I had an active bass, I took the battery out, turning the active/passive switch into a kill switch. I think that's the thing about that bass I miss the most :S 

This can go on the Definitely Maybe pile.

36 minutes ago, Maude said:

Wouldn't an on/off switch create a pop when engaging/disengaging, like pluggging/unplugging a jack with amp volume up?? 

When a pot is turned down to zero, what is silencing the bass? Would having the switch go between that and a bypass cause any problems?

When I took the battery out of my TRBX, there was no pop when switching between passive and dead active.

28 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

"If you get pops or glitch sounds when hitting the kill switch, solder a 1 megohm (1 million ohm) resistor in parallel with the switch."

I'll tackle any repair on a bass but I'll happily admit electrics aren't my strong point, it's like witchcraft! 

😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maude said:

electrics aren't my strong point, it's like witchcraft!

Fortunately, freelance witches are available at very reasonable prices 😁 I had a go at attempting to mod the electronics of my guitar when I was 17: with hindsight it's a miracle it ever produced another noise. Never again! 

• Like 1