Why become a member? ×

SortofNBD - USA SUB w/Status Fretless neck

40hz

Had this for a while actually, but forgot to NBD it! 

My poor SUB, always being the base for my graphite related tinkering, after having previously had a fretted Status neck and then being returned to its OG neck for a while, I thought it would be time to experiment once more.

After wanting to buy a fretless and absolutely loving the tone a fretless ray gets, I'll be ashamed to admit it took me a while to realise that I didn't have to go and buy a whole new Musicman and could just change the neck on my SUB! 

A fair amount of money later, this was the end result. Now, It might just be the most resonant instrument I've ever had. The whole body and neck vibrate to an incredible level (even the tech who did the work commented, stating it was probably the most resonant instrument he had worked on) and although this might not be everybody's bag, the amount of mwah out of the graphite neck is off the scale - It absolutely *sings*

Tonally, with 40-95 Flatwounds, the graphite just adds to that Musicman growl. It's an incredibly pokey instrument with the tone wide open, but roll it back, and there is a lovely, soft, warmth to be had, with total articulation. I'd describe it as a live 'studio' tone. 

The neck profile is the typical Status (what I'd term) flat 'D'. Narrower front to back than the stock Musicman profile, with stronger 'shoulders' but the same width. I'm not going to say it's better or worse as that sort of thing is totally down to preference.

I went for lightweight, black Musicman tuners to set off the whole 'dark' vibe, which had the added result of making the bass a little lighter.

Thanks for listening to my mini ramble/review, I'm off to go get my Pino on! *Stomps on OC-5*

IMG_20220129_175118875~2.jpg

IMG_20220129_175223215~2.jpg

IMG_20220129_175146709.jpg

IMG_20220129_175126454.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Very nice indeed. I have a SUB that I have considered doing the same. Where did you get the tuners?

My tech guy got them direct from Ernie Ball themselves. I'd definitely recommend doing the same with your SUB! There is something about the tonality of a Stingray/USA SUB that lends itself amazingly to fretless. The graphite neck just amplifies it 10x.

• Thanks 1