Why become a member? ×

Elites Players, nickel-plated steel strings from the Bass Centre

Munurmunuh

For no reason beyond their being cheapish and easily available individually, am feeling a bit curious about these strings

At the moment I've a set of Rotosound Roto Bass on the go, and also have recent experience of Fender 7250 and GHS Boomers, so if anyone could relate describe the Players in relation of one of those, that would make sense to me....

But even if not, would like to hear whatever recent thoughts on them there are to be had :)

I used these for years. They're good strings. Can't remember how long they last but I can vaguely remember a Nathan East signature set in the 90s that I used being a huge fan at the time

Switched to Slinkies for years and now on D'addarios for years.

Just bought a set of Extra Slinkies to try a lighter gauge and see if Slinkies are as good as i remember them

Might try some Elites next time

When brands are owned by retailers, not manufacturers, it's difficult to be sure whether past reputations are still relevant – who knows whether they changed supplier, and if so, what consequences there were on the qualities of the string: tone, feel, durability etc.

The Bass Centre's advertising spiel is pretty vague on the subject of their nickel-plated steels. They claim that their pure steel strings are less rough than other brands (presumably meaning Rotosound Swing Bass) but for these, they just say.... "Versatile and smooth feeling, Player Series strings feature a nickel alloy with less high-end attack and a pronounced mid-range definition, reducing finger noise and delivering a warm, rich, full tone. Recommended for soul, funk and vintage styles, as well as alternative rock and pop" ....which could easily be an advert for the Roto Bass set I'm currently using..... ;)

On 30/01/2022 at 07:02, Ricky Rioli said:

When brands are owned by retailers, not manufacturers, it's difficult to be sure whether past reputations are still relevant – who knows whether they changed supplier, and if so, what consequences there were on the qualities of the string: tone, feel, durability etc.

I don't think there is any need to worry about the quality of Elites. As far as I'm aware, they are made by GHS.

I've used (and endorsed) Elites for years. I don't use the Players Series because I don't particularly like nickel strings, but their steel strings are my favourites. I occasionally try other strings, but always go back to Elites.

• Like 1

Just now, Doddy said:

I don't think there is any need to worry about the quality of Elites. As far as I'm aware, they are made by GHS.

I've used (and endorsed) Elites for years. I don't use the Players Series because I don't particularly like nickel strings, but their steel strings are my favourites. I occasionally try other strings, but always go back to Elites.

I've enjoyed the GHS Boomers very much, so for me that's definitely encouraging. (I had been wondering if Rotosound were the manufacturers)

The only two pure steel roundwounds I've experience of are Swing Bass (which don't suit me, unfortunately) and Pro Steel (which do) If Bass Direct or Strings Direct had stocked the GHS steels I might have tried them, too.

Just now, Ricky Rioli said:

The only two pure steel roundwounds I've experience of are Swing Bass (which don't suit me, unfortunately) and Pro Steel (which do) If Bass Direct or Strings Direct had stocked the GHS steels I might have tried them, too.

I'm not a fan of the Rotosound Swing Bass either. If I use anything different, it's usually LaBella RX and Super Steps ( maybe D'Addario Pro Steel if I need some string quickly)

• Like 1

I've used Elites for around 25 years, both the nickel and the s/s. They are a softer tension than most other brands I've tried over the years. They last just as long as anything else IME. In hundreds of strings I've never had a duff one. Which is more than I can say for Rotosound. The last time, admittedly years ago, I took the bass fitted with Roto's to the shop and played it for them. They gave me a refund.