Why become a member? ×

BAM 200 arrived —Update

wrinkleygit

After hearing the TE Elf and the TC Bam at last year’s SW Bash, seeing Andertons had new stock finally arrived I’ve bought myself the BAM200, plugged it into my old Ashdown 112 and have to say I’m amazed that something for that price and size can sound so good.

However, couple of questions for any other owners, first I can’t hear the fan running, does it only come on when a high temperature is reached? Second, the instructions say turn up the gain until the green light flashes, then back off a little, on mine the light flashes as soon as it detects a signal? Any other users have the same.

Edited by wrinkleygit
Update

My BAM you can hear the fan pretty early on, although it is not loud. After an hour or so of playing at any sort of volume the fan is fairly noticable (when you stop playing - it doesn't intrude). Gets quite hot after a few hours, obviously there isn't anywhere for the heat to go.

The green light is on a lot of the time, I can't recall the green light being off that much when playing. I just have it so the green light is on with the occasional off, and no solid. Although honestly, don't worry about that too much as long as it sounds ok.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I only used it for 1/2 hour or so practice session, barely got warm during that and with the gain at about 1.00 o’clock had no signal distortion, with the light flashing on every note, certainly not disappointed, will give it a full work out at next weeks rehearsal session.

• wrinkleygit changed the title to BAM 200 arrived —Update

Used this at a couple of rehearsals with an 8ohm 112 cab and at home with headphones as a practice amp.

Firstly, the fan is super quiet and in no way obtrusive, secondly the green signal led flashes with every note played but as the gain is increased turns amber then red at the onset of overload, with all three of my basses as a finger only player, this only occurred at almost full gain setting when digging in hard, there is no mention of the colour change in the instruction leaflet, which caused my initial confusion, although you don’t need a light to tell you of overload, your ears are sufficient.

In conclusion, yes it generates some heat in use, but nothing like any of my valve amps, the tone controls function as they should and it’s easy to set up, the mains lead and speaker lead take up almost as much space as the amp itself, for the price, to have one as a main amp or backup makes complete sense, absolute bargain at £129.00.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...