Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRH500F Fretless Bass

Linus27

Has anyone got or played the Ibanez SHH500F fretless bass? I really like the look of them and think it might make a nice addition to my fretless Stingray, Jazz and Precision. The Piezo pickup will be something different to what I already have and from what I've read, they make a nice warm, round acoustic tone.

Anyone got one and care to share their thoughts? Good basses, nice to play, sound, build quality etc.

Ibanez-SRH500F-NNF-Natural-Browned-Burst-Flat-Elec.jpg.27309602728cbe08861aaff345d64199.jpg

• Like 1

I've had one for a while.

I really like it. Very woody with plenty of Mwah. The piezo tone control is really good.

I like it so much I've been looking for a used Portamento to give me the all in one elec/acoustic thing (though the SRF500 sounds nearly as good for the electric thing).

Hope this helps 

Edited by 2pods
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, it seems apart from the looks which some don't like (I personally love the looks) there are no negative comments about this bass and all the comments on the sound of it is really positive. Definitely got to get myself one.

Edited by Linus27

I'm very tempted myself but I think I fancy something with a 30 or 32 inch scale length.  I prefer the colour of the fretted model, tiger eye burst I think.

As well as the sr300, I had a sr600 a while ago.  The quality was as good as the USA Musicman I'd say.

Why doesn't everyone hide the knobs like Rob Allen

I played this in a shop, and liked it through certain amps, but others it really brought out the string detail that I don't like, so i'd really recommend trying it before taking the plunge: it's not a silver bullet.

I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a different Ibanez with a piezo, but with some traditional Barts in addition so you can have a blend of sounds. It's the SRF700. Haven't played it so cannot compare to the SRH but I would imagine it's a more versatile beast (with a price jump to match). Not hollow body but I'm sceptical if that does anything substantial other than look good, which granted it does!

p_region_SRF705_BBF_1P_05.png

• Like 1

I have an SRHF, and its pretty fabulous IMO.  Quite lightweight and very slim neck, typical Ibanez neck, but that suits me.  Mwah with tapewound flats is plentiful, though i have removed my LaBella Deep Talkin Black Nylon flats for some Deep Talkin whites

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fleabag said:

I have an SRHF, and its pretty fabulous IMO.  Quite lightweight and very slim neck, typical Ibanez neck, but that suits me.  Mwah with tapewound flats is plentiful, though i have removed my LaBella Deep Talkin Black Nylon flats for some Deep Talkin whites

Hi Fleabag,  What are the volume and tone like unplugged compared to a solid body?   Cheers, Andy.

Probably a tad louder unplugged than a solid unplugged, and you could play with an acoustic if they didnt play too loud

Tone ?  Well unplugged it has no bottom end, as you'd expect,  and quite twangy,  since it's not an acoustic bass.