Why become a member? ×

Wish me luck...

Jakester

I have my first gig doubling on DB (well, EUB to be fair) this evening! 

I'm very much an unintended bassist - I picked up a bass for fun after being a drummer for 20+ years and whilst I've played a few gigs solely on electric, this'll be the first time I've actually done a gig using my EUB as well. 

In fact, it's only the second time I've really played it in public - the last being the last rehearsal! 

I play in a community orchestra and the conductor/arranger asked me to bring my EUB to the last one as there were a couple of pieces that had bowed DB parts. I'd usually played them using a sustain pedal on the electric but I thought 'what the hell' and brought it along. To my surprise it went fairly well and I got lots of compliments about the sound (what is it about a DB/EUB that captures the imagination more?) so I thought "sod it, let's give it a go" tonight! It's a mix of bowed parts and pizz bass, as well as the stuff on the electric. 

Only wrinkle is that it's forecast to be 2deg when we're playing so hopefully I'll be able to keep my hands warm!

• Like 4

Well, back, and it was ruddy cold! 

Fine for setting up, but as the tunes went on fingers got really stiff!

The bowed DB parts didn't sound as good - no doubt a combination of being stood right on top of my amp, plus the tuning really wasn't happy with the cold! Still, a couple of people remarked it sounded okay. I struggled more with the 'normal' parts I've played loads - by the end of the gig - the most complicated and fiddly tune! - my fingers were really struggling by the end!

Enjoyed it though, and we drew a decent crowd so yay! On to the next. 

• Like 4