Why become a member? ×

Preamp & power amp question

JPJ

I’ve run a few preamp & power amp setups over the years but one thing I’ve never been sure of is how you should set up the ‘master’ volumes. To explain, I fully understand the relationship between the pre & post levels on the preamp as these mirror the function of pre and master levels on any regular bass amp. But where should the volume control on the power amp be set? Should it be 100% and control the overall volume from the preamp post control (unlikely as very noisy), set to zero db on the power amp and control the overall volume from the preamp post control, or run the preamp post control at 100% and control the overall volume from the power amp volume control, or something else?

13 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Theoretically a power amp should not have any volume or gain control...

So put it full on when there is one and use your preamp master volume.

Agreed. The volume/gain control on a power amp is only an input attenuator (it cuts the signal entering the power amp). It is useful in cases where you don't have a way to reduce the signal strength of what you're feeding the power amp, but if you have a master volume on your preamp, use that.