Why become a member? ×

cleaning your stingray neck with those Ernie Ball wipes

john_the_bass

I am parting with my Stingray on Sunday and before I do, I would like to give it the once over, just so it's shiney and sparkly for it's new owner :)
The maple fingerboard shows up the dirt a bit (I found it always did from day 1) and I'd like to get it cleaned up - I've never oiled it personally, but I've seen the EB brand conditioning wipes and wondered if they are any good and if I should try and find a shop tomorrow that sells them.

Anybody used them or do you have any recommendations to get the muck off? It's not heavy soiling or anything like that - to be honest a damp cloth would probably sort it, but should I be applying damp cloths to unfinished wood?

I just found this link [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/31904-how-clean-maple-board.html#post505100"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...html#post505100[/url] which is a post from somebody within EBMM saying that they have switched to Wonder Wipes at the factory for all fingerboards.

I have to say that I was slightly concerned because I have heard about using citrus oil on maple boards - indeed my own Squier Strat got a fairly severe lemonoiling from me dad, which has taken off a fair bit of lacquer but giving it a slight reliced look I suppose, but I will try these WWs and see what they're like - I think sparingly is the word of the day.

John, I've used them on my MN Ray4. When I got the bass, the FB was a bit grubby but not excessive. All of the 'greyness' came out with a combination of the wipes and harsh rub down with a microfibre cloth. I use one wipe on the FB and the back of the neck every couple of months to keep it looking good.

I wouldn't worry about lacquer - I don't think there's any on there to come off - its just oil/wax.

Mart - did you have any light/dark patches where the fingerboard had got dirty in the spaces between the strings - I whipped the strings off and gave the fingerboard a wipe with a - er - wipe and a rub over with some kitchen roll I think - can't get the fingerboard to a uniform colour - just the light/dark thing.

[quote name='martthebass' post='454330' date='Apr 4 2009, 08:32 PM']John, I've used them on my [b]MN[/b] Ray4.[/quote]

MusicNan? :) :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, the wipes are pretty good, I've used them on a MM neck in the past and it didn't damage it as far as I could see.

Edited by josh3184

When I bought my 'ray the maple board was very grubby. I found the best way to clean it was to rub it down with fine wire wool, and then finish off with the Earnie Ball wipes. Came up very nicely, although the unfinished boards will always get grubby quickly.

[quote name='josh3184' post='454411' date='Apr 4 2009, 11:25 PM']MusicNan? :) :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, the wipes are pretty good, I've used them on a MM neck in the past and it didn't damage it as far as I could see.[/quote]

[b]M[/b]aple [b]N[/b]eck.

Simon - I didn't fancy going down the wire wool route, but somebody had mentioned that if you use 0000 grade wire wool (or whatever the finest stuff is), it wouldn't scratch glass so it would be safe to use.
The other thing I've seen on the MM forums is a recommendation to use Murphy's Oil Soap, but you can't get it over here.