Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot ELF 1x10 160w Bass Guitar Combo Amp

FunkyDude

It's really hard to gauge other people's volume satisfaction requirements relative to our own.

I can gig to a pretty rowdy party level where conversation is still possible at the back of the hall with the 160w into 210, drummer being the sensitive type and similar guitarist using a Tiny Terror 12W amp.

I doubt the combo by itself will cover too many full room situations. Much more useful as a monitor rig.

Adding an extension cab is a different story. You could do the 110 or the 208.

I had been using a Hartke kickback 12", which I believe is around 140w or so. Deep cab, clear, projects far into a big space, but 42lbs. I still have it, but looking for something lighter.

I bought a Galien Kruger microbes 150. 150w, 12", many features, @23lbs. I used it on a tilt back stand for a few years.

This amp seems to break up and disappear in the mix, compared to the Hartke. I believe it's because of the depth of the cabs more than anything.

The MB150 has 4band parametric EQ, effects loop, and DI out, so you can use it as a monitor.

We've since gone digital with a Behringer X-air 18 board, and in-ears, so no more noise or furniture onstage. Yippee!

I still use both small amps for playing with the CD player, etc.

Consider the Galien Kruger MB 150.

I got one a couple of weeks ago, but haven’t been able to try out in a big room yet. Very impressed by the tone so far… I won’t be using my trusty pre-amp pedal any more (but will keep as back up and maybe DI). The plan is to get the 1x10 extension cab for gigs and to DI if necessary… but for the gigs we are likely to do I don’t think that will be required.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I play mainly in jazz big band/combo/sextet/quartet etc. and not heavy metal or rock. So I don't need to compete with the drums! LOL! 

I once played in a pub with a sextet and a vocal using a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 without P.A. and could be heard right at the back. So I guess it's all relevant in what type of music one is playing. Last week I played with another band in the Herne Hill Festival using a Markbass CMD 101 60W combo and it sounded great. As I have never tried or seen the TE Elf combo before, I am keen to hear anyone who has done so or owned one. Thanks Trueno for the first-hand user inputs. 👍

• Like 1