Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF350/PF500/PF800/PF owners club

Guest BassAdder27

32 minutes ago, Bassmidget209 said:

Yeah I'm.wondering that. I've also had it at a few practices since and I wasn't happy. At the same time I may be clouded by that gig. It also may be the cabs. I've only ran it at 8 ohms and only with firstly a sub standard 1x15 and now a better quality 2x10. I've heard ampeg cabs make a difference has anyone else noticed this? Also would you say 350 class D watts is suitable for a loudish rock band in small/eventually medium gig scenarios?

I always found even the PF800 lacking in power compared to other similar rated Class D heads 

The TE Elf for example is a very loud 200w head and low price 

The Ashdown RM series are also very loud amps in comparison 

Its a shame Yamaha havnt made some new class D ampegs as they are well overdue I feel 

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/11/2022 at 12:25, Bassmidget209 said:

Yeah I'm.wondering that. I've also had it at a few practices since and I wasn't happy. At the same time I may be clouded by that gig. It also may be the cabs. I've only ran it at 8 ohms and only with firstly a sub standard 1x15 and now a better quality 2x10. I've heard ampeg cabs make a difference has anyone else noticed this? Also would you say 350 class D watts is suitable for a loudish rock band in small/eventually medium gig scenarios?

I've been playing bass a long long time and I can say this, there is no one setting for every gig, acoustics differ big time and so does the settings on your amp.

The Ampeg 350 just like any other amp will only deliver its full rated power into 4 ohms. So hooking it up to an 8 ohm cab will only deliver maybe half that power.

I use one 15inch 4 ohm speaker cab and I can tell you, if you have the gain set up right on your amp, IT'S LOUD ! 

• 2 months later...

Looks like I just joined up. Bought a pf350 , basically because I always wanted an ampeg and something that will fit into my cajon bags with a Barefaced one10 like my TC heads do. Not tried it in anger yet but one observation - why on earth put a recessed air intake on top of it ?? You may as well take the case off and empty your hoover bag inside it. Plus - somebody somewhere is going to stand a drink on it. Guaranteed. Then what's going to happen ? What were ampeg thinking with this one ?

Anyway I'm having the top of the case off and a session with the vac brush nozzle and some switch cleaner. I'll cut a little foam insert to sit in the recess when it's not being used. I don't have the drinks issue because I have a  drink holder attached to my mic stand. It's a drum accessory I think.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Looks like I’m on the way out of this club.  Bought my PF350 around 5 years ago new. 

Right before last night’s gig, it started crackling and dropping volume.

I’ll put some switch cleaner on the pots, maybe try a jumper between FX send & return (not sure what that does but it’s often suggested here 😂).

If that fails to improve it, I’m going amp shopping in January!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Venture series ? 

Yeah I wanna know how the Venture series compares to these.

I haven't got one any more, but have owned the PF-500 and the PF-800. I liked the preamp in them so much, I keep one in pedal form (the classic analogue bass preamp is, I'm pretty sure, just the preamp out of a PF-350) on my board.

The PF-350/500/800 were a great sounding line of amps imo, although I agree they weren't especially loud (my darkglass 900 is waaay louder). Except the fan, that was really fkin loud lol.

On 22/12/2023 at 16:04, Pea Turgh said:

Looks like I’m on the way out of this club.  Bought my PF350 around 5 years ago new. 

Right before last night’s gig, it started crackling and dropping volume.

I’ll put some switch cleaner on the pots, maybe try a jumper between FX send & return (not sure what that does but it’s often suggested here 😂).

If that fails to improve it, I’m going amp shopping in January!

I thought I’d update you, as I know you’d all be worried.

It lives!  Copious amounts of switch cleaner and much pot twiddling appears to have cured the crackles and volume drops.  Phew.

• Like 5