Why become a member? ×

Ashdown cab advice

mav

Needing some advice, i currently have an ABM Evo ii and an ABM 210 cab, I'm wanting to add another cab for the louder gigs, i'm tossing up between an ABM 410 for a good price used or an ABM 115 compact, used but like new $125 more that the 410. If i get the 410 i probably won't need to add the 210, the 115 will be easier to lug around. 

Edited by mav

Well I’ve had the 210/410 ABM set up and it was great, bags of power and sounded really good. Of course each cab will get the same amount of power but as long as you use your ears (and have the 210 on top) you’d hear if the 210 was being overloaded, though I’d doubt that would happen, those cabs take some serious power.

I’ve had other brands 210/115 set ups and all have sounded good. The theory is always use two of the same cab but I’ve never had a problem mixing speaker sizes yet. Having different speaker sizes means that in all likelihood your sound would need re-eqing when pairing the two as opposed to using each individually.

I put castors on my 410 and used that all the time, only dragging out the 210 for the bigger gigs. Once the cab had the castors it was so easy to move about, the only lifting was out of the car and up/down stairs. Much easier than carrying the 210 everywhere.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

How loud are your gigs!

I think you've outlined all the main issues bar one, how would it sound and will it be a sound you like. You really need to try the cabs if you can, with and without your own cab. If you just want more of the same sound another 2x10 would make more sense and the safe choice would be to wait until one comes up. The 4x10 should be more than loud enough on it's own and you might well end up using that as your go to speaker. 

The 15 will probably change the sound more than the 4x10 and be louder. only you can decide if the extra portability is worth the extra money.

Try them out if you possibly can.

I always used to think a 410 and 115 was a classic combination. The advice though from professional cabinet makers is if you find a cabinet you like, buy two of them.

Funny enough I'm going through the same decision making process, I have an old Ashdown ABM115 Compact 500w. I'm considering paring it with either an Ashdown 210 or 410.